Mike Woodson on the Atlantic Division: ‘I expect us to win it this year’

Dec 27, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT

Mike Woodson, Herb Williams

As Knicks coach, Mike Woodson is supposed to remain positive.

As a basketball blogger, I’m supposed to make fun of anyone who says anything positive about the woeful Knicks.

So, let’s just get to it.

Woodson, via Al Iannazzone of Newsday:

“Do I see some light at the end of the tunnel? I do,” Woodson said. “I think eventually we’ll get to where we need to get as a ballclub. And I’m basing that on our last 12 games. Eventually we’ll get healthy and we’ll see how it all plays out.

“The beauty about all of this that we’re going through is nobody’s running away with it in our division and I’m pushing our team to win our division still. We won it last year and I expect us to win it this year.”

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

Here are the Atlantic Division standings:

• Raptors, 11-15
  • Celtics, 12-17
  • Knicks, 9-19
  • Nets, 9-19
  • 76ers, 8-20

Sure, the Knicks still have a chance, but based on that, it’s difficult to objectively predict New York will win the division.

Oh, oops. My mistake. Woodson is judging it by each each team’s best 12-game stretch. That makes some sense, seeing which team has indicated the highest ceiling. How do the Atlantic teams rank with that method?

• Celtics, 8-4
  • Knicks, 6-6
  • Nets, 6-6
  • Raptors, 5-7
  • 76ers, 5-7

Nope. New York still isn’t No. 1 that way.

But maybe Woodson specifically meant each team’s last 12 games. You know, recent sample being more telling and all. In that case:

• Celtics, 6-6
  • Knicks, 6-6
  • Raptors, 5-7
  • Nets, 5-7
  • 76ers, 2-10

New York comes close, but it loses the tiebreaker to Boston, because the Celtics beat the Knicks during this span.

I just can’t spin the numbers to put the Knicks in the diver’s seat. But I guess that’s not my job. It’s Woodson’s.

1. johngalt1783 - Dec 27, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Here is another spin from the Raptors perspective.

1. Raptors 4-2 since the Gay trade in games in which acquired players played

2. Raptors with two wins in those six games against WC teams with a 24-2 home record before the Raptors beat them.

3. Raptors ranked 12th over all and 4th in EC according to Hollnger’s Power Rankings

4. Raptors ranked 14th overall and 4th in EC according to Basketball Reference rankings with a SOS of .30 which will only go down with more EC games

5. Raptors with a Pythagorean win loss record of 13-13, again 4th in EC

The three teams ahead of the Raptors in the above rankings are Miama, Indiana and Atlanta.

So we shall see how it plays out. That is why they play the games.

2. steelerfanforlife - Dec 27, 2013 at 2:43 PM

You are a terrible blogger!

3. lunasceiling - Dec 27, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Winning this year’s Atlantic Division would be an “accomplishment” right up there with finding someone wearing black at a goth club.

4. brotherlove2012 - Dec 27, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Or wearing nothing at a nudist camp …

5. jzone954 - Dec 27, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Giggle,giggle

6. bux1022 - Dec 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Hopefully the giggle giggle comment came from an eighth grade girl who trolls Bball blogs!

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches