Giannis Antetokounmpo drives for the dunk against Nets (VIDEO)

Dec 27, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT

Giannis Antetokounmpo was largely a mystery heading into the draft, thanks to playing internationally where few ever got the chance to see him in person.

When I was in Italy for adidas Eurocamp this past summer, he was playing a game in a half-empty gym about a 45-minute drive from where we were in Treviso, and plenty of NBA scouts and general managers made the trek to try to get a glimpse of him in the flesh.

(Not me — I opted for the tiramisu at an amazing spot downtown.)

The point here is that the Bucks took a chance, and are beginning to reap the rewards. Giannis is proving to be a rare athletic talent, and showed it on this play against the Nets, where the big man looked like a skilled wing player in putting the ball on the floor and effortlessly driving to the basket for the easy slam dunk.

1. money2long - Dec 28, 2013 at 12:10 AM

special

2. padraighansen - Dec 28, 2013 at 10:16 AM

The Bucks need to find a taker for O.J. Mayo and give this kid 30 minutes a night. Additionally, as much as I love Ridnour, he’d be a huge addition OKC’s bench & rotation with Westbrook out.

3. captainwisdom8888 - Dec 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I was throwing this guy’s name around there before the draft as a player whose length and raw potential could translate nicely into the NBA, and I remember getting nothing but laughs and cock-eyed looks…but now I’m beginning to wonder whether that’s because most people had no clue about this kid, or my feeble attempts to pronounce his name were simply comical.

4. pbtunpaidwriter - Dec 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Alphabet’s a beast in the making. I think he could be an Andrei Kirilenko type player with a higher ceiling.

5. dbones750 - Dec 28, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Looks like kd

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches