Dec 27, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
Giannis Antetokounmpo was largely a mystery heading into the draft, thanks to playing internationally where few ever got the chance to see him in person.
When I was in Italy for adidas Eurocamp this past summer, he was playing a game in a half-empty gym about a 45-minute drive from where we were in Treviso, and plenty of NBA scouts and general managers made the trek to try to get a glimpse of him in the flesh.
(Not me — I opted for the tiramisu at an amazing spot downtown.)
The point here is that the Bucks took a chance, and are beginning to reap the rewards. Giannis is proving to be a rare athletic talent, and showed it on this play against the Nets, where the big man looked like a skilled wing player in putting the ball on the floor and effortlessly driving to the basket for the easy slam dunk.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 11
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 38
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 22
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 100
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78