Dec 27, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
Giannis Antetokounmpo was largely a mystery heading into the draft, thanks to playing internationally where few ever got the chance to see him in person.
When I was in Italy for adidas Eurocamp this past summer, he was playing a game in a half-empty gym about a 45-minute drive from where we were in Treviso, and plenty of NBA scouts and general managers made the trek to try to get a glimpse of him in the flesh.
(Not me — I opted for the tiramisu at an amazing spot downtown.)
The point here is that the Bucks took a chance, and are beginning to reap the rewards. Giannis is proving to be a rare athletic talent, and showed it on this play against the Nets, where the big man looked like a skilled wing player in putting the ball on the floor and effortlessly driving to the basket for the easy slam dunk.
- Charlotte is scrappy but Heat have too much in comfortable 99-88 win 6
- Spurs use huge 4th quarter run to come back and win Game 1 vs. Mavericks 8
- NBA issues statement saying Chris Paul was fouled before late-game turnover against Warriors 17
- Jim Buss says he’ll step down if Lakers aren’t contenders again in ‘three to four years’ 36
- Thunder start fast, cruise to Game 1 win over Grizzlies 6