Dec 27, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
Good luck coaching all that, especially if you’re a first-year coach, the type of cheap option tanking teams tend to prefer.
But 76ers coach Brett Brown sounds like he has a plan for handling those potential distractions. Brown, via Keith Pompey of The (Philadelphia) Inquirer:
“The [camaraderie], that staying together, is one of the hardest things to deal with when you are dealing with trade rumors, when you are dealing with rebuilding, when you are dealing with losing,” Brown said.
“You have a recipe that’s built for disaster if you don’t have character people that don’t understand the pitfalls of what could happen among that turmoil,” Brown said. “I talk about that all the time.
“It needs to be admitted and worked on.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
I have to believe Brown having a plan for handling a tanking team – which is different than a plan for how to tank – helped persuade the 76ers to hire him.
Few bad teams have an identity as strong as Philadelphia does. Heck, plenty of winning teams don’t, either.
But since Sam Hinkie took over, the 76ers have looked toward the future, this season be darned. From management to the coach, Philadelphia has embraced this plan. It’s almost a full-franchise effort.
Almost, because the veteran players might not be on board. But Brown is working on that.
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 2
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 14
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 13
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 6
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 15
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17