Dec 27, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
Good luck coaching all that, especially if you’re a first-year coach, the type of cheap option tanking teams tend to prefer.
But 76ers coach Brett Brown sounds like he has a plan for handling those potential distractions. Brown, via Keith Pompey of The (Philadelphia) Inquirer:
“The [camaraderie], that staying together, is one of the hardest things to deal with when you are dealing with trade rumors, when you are dealing with rebuilding, when you are dealing with losing,” Brown said.
“You have a recipe that’s built for disaster if you don’t have character people that don’t understand the pitfalls of what could happen among that turmoil,” Brown said. “I talk about that all the time.
“It needs to be admitted and worked on.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
I have to believe Brown having a plan for handling a tanking team – which is different than a plan for how to tank – helped persuade the 76ers to hire him.
Few bad teams have an identity as strong as Philadelphia does. Heck, plenty of winning teams don’t, either.
But since Sam Hinkie took over, the 76ers have looked toward the future, this season be darned. From management to the coach, Philadelphia has embraced this plan. It’s almost a full-franchise effort.
Almost, because the veteran players might not be on board. But Brown is working on that.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 0
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 12
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 21
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29