Dec 26, 2013, 5:56 PM EDT
Since early in the season, Pau Gasol has been battling a respiratory infection, it has caused him to miss some games and slowed him when he’s been on the court. He can’t shake it.
Thursday he saw a new specialist to look at the issue.
The short term impact is the Lakers will be without Pau Gasol Friday night in Utah. Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com takes a more optimistic view but I wouldn’t bet on it.
You would think a few days off and the right medicine could help knock this out, but clearly it is more than that (Gasol’s mom is a doctor, it’s not like he gets bad medical care or doesn’t follow through on meds).
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $30,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
No matter who plays for L.A. Friday night, Utah is the kind of team the Lakers need to beat if they have hopes of turning this season around and making the playoffs. And they still have those hopes, with Kobe Bryant returning in a month or so. But this roster needs to keep them afloat until then.
- Kyrie Irving aces, Kevin Love passes first playoff test in Cavaliers win over Celtics 0
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 10
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 19
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6