Dec 26, 2013, 5:56 PM EST
Since early in the season, Pau Gasol has been battling a respiratory infection, it has caused him to miss some games and slowed him when he’s been on the court. He can’t shake it.
Thursday he saw a new specialist to look at the issue.
The short term impact is the Lakers will be without Pau Gasol Friday night in Utah. Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com takes a more optimistic view but I wouldn’t bet on it.
You would think a few days off and the right medicine could help knock this out, but clearly it is more than that (Gasol’s mom is a doctor, it’s not like he gets bad medical care or doesn’t follow through on meds).
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $30,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
No matter who plays for L.A. Friday night, Utah is the kind of team the Lakers need to beat if they have hopes of turning this season around and making the playoffs. And they still have those hopes, with Kobe Bryant returning in a month or so. But this roster needs to keep them afloat until then.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 6
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20