Dec 26, 2013, 5:56 PM EDT
Since early in the season, Pau Gasol has been battling a respiratory infection, it has caused him to miss some games and slowed him when he’s been on the court. He can’t shake it.
Thursday he saw a new specialist to look at the issue.
The short term impact is the Lakers will be without Pau Gasol Friday night in Utah. Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com takes a more optimistic view but I wouldn’t bet on it.
You would think a few days off and the right medicine could help knock this out, but clearly it is more than that (Gasol’s mom is a doctor, it’s not like he gets bad medical care or doesn’t follow through on meds).
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $30,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
No matter who plays for L.A. Friday night, Utah is the kind of team the Lakers need to beat if they have hopes of turning this season around and making the playoffs. And they still have those hopes, with Kobe Bryant returning in a month or so. But this roster needs to keep them afloat until then.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 49
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18