LeBron James named AP Male Athlete of year. Jordan, Bird only other NBA guys to get that.

Dec 26, 2013, 2:23 PM EDT

Heat Media Day Basketball AP

The accolades keep piling up for LeBron James.

The guy who is the reigning NBA MVP and has led the Miami Heat to the last two NBA titles has now been named the Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year for 2013.

Only two other NBA players have ever won the award — Michael Jordan and Larry Bird. Last year the award went to Michael Phelps off his performance at the London Olympics, other past winners include Aaron Rodgers, NASCAR’s Jimmy Johnson, Tom Brady, Tiger Woods and going back Joe Montana, Carl Lewis, Wayne Gretzky, Muhammad Ali and Jesse Owens.

“I’m chasing something and it’s bigger than me as a basketball player,” James told the AP. “I believe my calling is much higher than being a basketball player. I can inspire people. Youth is huge to me. If I can get kids to look at me as a role model, as a leader, a superhero … those things mean so much, and that’s what I think I was built for. I was put here for this lovely game of basketball, but I don’t think this is the biggest role that I’m going to have…

“I don’t think I’ve changed much this year,” James said. “I’ve just improved and continued to improve on being more than just as a basketball player. I’ve matured as a leader, as a father, as a husband, as a friend.”

LeBron is off to another MVP-like season — he is averaging 25.2 points per game but is doing it at amazing efficiency, his true shooting percentage so far this season is 67.4 percent, plus averaging 6.9 points and 6.2 assists a game. His minutes are down a little, he’s taking a couple fewer shots a game but LeBron is still impacting any game he is in on both ends of the floor more than any player on the planet right now.

Miami has the chance this year to make it to their fourth straight NBA Finals (the last team to do that was Bird’s Celtics in the mid 1980s) and win three straight NBA titles. If that happens (it will not be easy with the Indiana Pacers in their path) it will be because of James.

1. antistratfordian - Dec 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Well deserved.

• money2long - Dec 26, 2013 at 3:34 PM

im pretty sure if there was a job opening to hold lebron’s nuts, antistratfordian would be first in line
      bwahaha

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Dec 26, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Second

• money2long - Dec 26, 2013 at 4:00 PM

hahaha ^ that made me bust out laughing. as long as you let antistratfordian go first, i think your fingers will remain intact.

• spthegr8 - Dec 26, 2013 at 4:17 PM

@Money
        He does have some sick obsession with Lbj. I heard the other day he knocked over some poor kid @ the Heat game trying too catch Lb’s dirty headband, to make his own personal LeBron in a bottle!!

• money2long - Dec 26, 2013 at 4:40 PM

lmao. i’m laughing so hard over here.

• money2long - Dec 26, 2013 at 4:41 PM

did he pull a paul mcartney and say, THAT WAS MINE !!!

• antistratfordian - Dec 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM

“Oh yeah, Riley? Well, the jerk store called. They’re running out of you!”

• spthegr8 - Dec 26, 2013 at 5:26 PM

@Money
        That was mine…LLS!!!

2. bougin89 - Dec 26, 2013 at 3:33 PM

And here I thought Joe Flacco was a shoe-in….

• asimonetti88 - Dec 26, 2013 at 4:16 PM

$120 million man

3. dolphindubs - Dec 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Uh-oh haters….

Another box marked with a check. Keep on reigning supreme LeBron. Keep on reigning supreme.

4. leahcima1 - Dec 26, 2013 at 4:05 PM

This is for cantonjerk0:

“James was announced Thursday as The Associated Press’ 2013 Male Athlete of the Year, becoming the third basketball player to capture the award that has been annually awarded since 1931.”

The others? Larry Bird and Michael Jordan, the last two standing in James’ way to goat.

5. shanelsweet - Dec 26, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Congats, LeBron. Looking forward to seeing lots more of you.

6. gquesen - Dec 26, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Some mean spirited people on this board.

7. jzone954 - Dec 26, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Keep on keeping on Mr James.

8. jimthebuilder27 - Dec 27, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Keep on coming haters, you’ve been served by Lebron for two straight years now!

9. lemfaxx - Dec 27, 2013 at 6:06 AM

No question?

10. cheathamhouse1 - Dec 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM

67.4% !!!! That’s superhuman.

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures