Chandler Parsons shaves head to support 10-year-old with cancer

Dec 25, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

BASKET-US-TAIWAN-TPE-NBA-PACERS-ROCKETS-LIN

Chandler Parsons had model good looks.

Literally.

But the Houston Rockets forward has changed his style without concern for fashion. Instead, he’s trying to help Patrick Hobbs-DeClaire, a 10-year-old fighting cancer whom Parsons met last week.

Parson shaved his hair, and he posted a picture of his new ‘do:

Parsons, via Jenny Dial Creech of the Houston Chronicle:

“His dad was telling me how he isn’t even scared of death,” Parsons said. “He is more worried about not looking like his twin brother anymore, so me being his favorite player, I decided to shave my head to look more like him and hopefully give him some support and encouragement from me.”

Parsons will unveil his new haircut on the court tonight, when the Rockets play the Spurs. With a national audience tuning into the ESPN game, many viewers won’t have an allegiance to either team.

But I suspect there will be – as there should be – a few extra Parsons fans.

1. deavn - Dec 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM

That’s not really a shave. More like a low cut.

• pbtunpaidwriter - Dec 25, 2013 at 4:32 PM

*buzz cut

• redbaronx - Dec 26, 2013 at 1:25 PM

@deavn – Doesn’t matter what terminology he used. That’s a #2 buzz cut.

2. edwardemanuelson - Dec 25, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Classy gesture from a great player, says this Spurs fan. Merry Christmas all.

3. biasedhomer - Dec 25, 2013 at 2:39 PM

He looks like Justin Timberlake.

4. pbtunpaidwriter - Dec 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Dude’s becoming a celebrity.

5. 407magic - Dec 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Another Lake Howell high alumni doing big things.

6. macdega - Dec 25, 2013 at 7:34 PM

You moron…..that’s not ad pic of his new cut.

7. bigmeechy74 - Dec 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Ok let’s be honest… First let me say that Chandler Parsons is one of my favorite players. Top 5 easy. But he didn’t “shave his head” to look anything like a cancer patient. He just has short hair like he’s had before. ANd he still looks like a damn abercrombie model. I think it’s cool that he is hanging out with this kid etc but let’s not overdo it with the hair story

8. muhangis - Dec 26, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Funny, I did not see any shaved head in tonight’s Rocket game on him. Trying to sensationalize a story? I do see a close crop, so perhaps that counts as close enough in the author’s eyes. Either way I’m sure the cancer patient felt good.

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures