Dec 25, 2013, 1:52 PM EDT
The best laid plans of mice and David Stern… have been blown up by injuries.
In another blow to the NBA’s Christmas Day showcase lineup, Carmelo Anthony will not play due to a sprained ankle suffered Monday night. Anthony wanted to go, came to the arena and met with the team’s medical staff, but the Knicks made it official just 20 minutes before tip-off.
That destroys the hope of an Anthony vs. Kevin Durant shootout — the two leading scorers per game in the league last season had a chance to make this a great show. Now we will get Durant and Russell Westbrook going against the gunning of J.R. Smith and the defense of Tyson Chandler. But at least everyone is wearing those swell Christmas Day jerseys!
The NBA tries to showcase its biggest stars on Christmas Day, but injures have crushed what should have been a great lineup of games. The opening game saw the Bulls without Derrick Rose and the Nets without Brook Lopez. Now Anthony is out. Later on Wednesday Kobe Bryant will be out as the Lakers try not to get blown out by the Heat. Also James Harden is a game time decision in the Rockets when they take on the Spurs.
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 5
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 16
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 43