Dec 25, 2013, 1:52 PM EDT
The best laid plans of mice and David Stern… have been blown up by injuries.
In another blow to the NBA’s Christmas Day showcase lineup, Carmelo Anthony will not play due to a sprained ankle suffered Monday night. Anthony wanted to go, came to the arena and met with the team’s medical staff, but the Knicks made it official just 20 minutes before tip-off.
That destroys the hope of an Anthony vs. Kevin Durant shootout — the two leading scorers per game in the league last season had a chance to make this a great show. Now we will get Durant and Russell Westbrook going against the gunning of J.R. Smith and the defense of Tyson Chandler. But at least everyone is wearing those swell Christmas Day jerseys!
The NBA tries to showcase its biggest stars on Christmas Day, but injures have crushed what should have been a great lineup of games. The opening game saw the Bulls without Derrick Rose and the Nets without Brook Lopez. Now Anthony is out. Later on Wednesday Kobe Bryant will be out as the Lakers try not to get blown out by the Heat. Also James Harden is a game time decision in the Rockets when they take on the Spurs.
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 4
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 9
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7