Dec 25, 2013, 1:52 PM EDT
The best laid plans of mice and David Stern… have been blown up by injuries.
In another blow to the NBA’s Christmas Day showcase lineup, Carmelo Anthony will not play due to a sprained ankle suffered Monday night. Anthony wanted to go, came to the arena and met with the team’s medical staff, but the Knicks made it official just 20 minutes before tip-off.
That destroys the hope of an Anthony vs. Kevin Durant shootout — the two leading scorers per game in the league last season had a chance to make this a great show. Now we will get Durant and Russell Westbrook going against the gunning of J.R. Smith and the defense of Tyson Chandler. But at least everyone is wearing those swell Christmas Day jerseys!
The NBA tries to showcase its biggest stars on Christmas Day, but injures have crushed what should have been a great lineup of games. The opening game saw the Bulls without Derrick Rose and the Nets without Brook Lopez. Now Anthony is out. Later on Wednesday Kobe Bryant will be out as the Lakers try not to get blown out by the Heat. Also James Harden is a game time decision in the Rockets when they take on the Spurs.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 9
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 25
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 68
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36