Dec 25, 2013, 1:52 PM EDT
The best laid plans of mice and David Stern… have been blown up by injuries.
In another blow to the NBA’s Christmas Day showcase lineup, Carmelo Anthony will not play due to a sprained ankle suffered Monday night. Anthony wanted to go, came to the arena and met with the team’s medical staff, but the Knicks made it official just 20 minutes before tip-off.
That destroys the hope of an Anthony vs. Kevin Durant shootout — the two leading scorers per game in the league last season had a chance to make this a great show. Now we will get Durant and Russell Westbrook going against the gunning of J.R. Smith and the defense of Tyson Chandler. But at least everyone is wearing those swell Christmas Day jerseys!
The NBA tries to showcase its biggest stars on Christmas Day, but injures have crushed what should have been a great lineup of games. The opening game saw the Bulls without Derrick Rose and the Nets without Brook Lopez. Now Anthony is out. Later on Wednesday Kobe Bryant will be out as the Lakers try not to get blown out by the Heat. Also James Harden is a game time decision in the Rockets when they take on the Spurs.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 31
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 3
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5