Dec 23, 2013, 1:25 PM EDT
In the NBA there are more trades discussed than there are in your fantasy league. Just very few ever get off the ground in any real way.
According to a league source, the Rockets had preliminary talks with the Nets last week about Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin. Talks never gained any steam, but the source said the Rockets were doing their due diligence and Williams’ name came up. The Nets balked because one of the main reasons Pierce and Garnett agreed to a trade to Brooklyn was to play with Williams, according to the source.
That was never going to happen, especially with how Deron Williams has played well, but these kinds of conversations take place a lot. They just never rise to the point that the GMs get involved in any kind of serious discussion.
That said, expect some moves out of New York because Brooklyn is in a bind — they have traded away or agreed to swap picks for every one of the next five drafts. They simply cannot decide to write this season off, tank and rebuild via the draft. Their pick this year will go to Boston, although Atlanta has the right to swap out that pick first (Boston would just get the Hawks’ pick).
Their only choice is to try and win now, which means flipping the bad contracts they have for likely worse ones in an effort to get some more talent on the roster. Good luck with that strategy.
It is possible Jason Kidd takes the fall for this (and he has had his flaws, as you expect in a first-year coach), but this is not his doing. It is all about Mikhail Prokhorov the owner and GM Billy King. This mess is their roster.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 20
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 20
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4