Dec 23, 2013, 1:25 PM EDT
In the NBA there are more trades discussed than there are in your fantasy league. Just very few ever get off the ground in any real way.
According to a league source, the Rockets had preliminary talks with the Nets last week about Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin. Talks never gained any steam, but the source said the Rockets were doing their due diligence and Williams’ name came up. The Nets balked because one of the main reasons Pierce and Garnett agreed to a trade to Brooklyn was to play with Williams, according to the source.
That was never going to happen, especially with how Deron Williams has played well, but these kinds of conversations take place a lot. They just never rise to the point that the GMs get involved in any kind of serious discussion.
That said, expect some moves out of New York because Brooklyn is in a bind — they have traded away or agreed to swap picks for every one of the next five drafts. They simply cannot decide to write this season off, tank and rebuild via the draft. Their pick this year will go to Boston, although Atlanta has the right to swap out that pick first (Boston would just get the Hawks’ pick).
Their only choice is to try and win now, which means flipping the bad contracts they have for likely worse ones in an effort to get some more talent on the roster. Good luck with that strategy.
It is possible Jason Kidd takes the fall for this (and he has had his flaws, as you expect in a first-year coach), but this is not his doing. It is all about Mikhail Prokhorov the owner and GM Billy King. This mess is their roster.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 27
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25