Dec 23, 2013, 12:26 PM EST
In the 13 games the Memphis Grizzlies have been without Marc Gasol they are 4-9, with an offense scoring a point per possession (25th in the league in that stretch) and the defense giving up 107 points per 100 possessions (26th in the league). They have fallen to 11-15, 13th best in the West.
That’s a sign of how much they need him back to have any hope of making the playoffs.
So any news he is coming back earlier than expected (it was supposed to be six weeks at least and that was less than a month ago) would be welcomed. With that we bring you well connected Memphis Radio host Chris Vernon.
Players always tend to be optimistic about their recovery times and want to rush back, the doctors are more cautious. I’m not sure you can split the difference.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Still, Memphis needs their defensive anchor and the fulcrum of their offense back. This is a guy who has played through pain before. He averages 16 points and 7.1 rebounds a game, but his impact on the Grizzlies is bigger than that.
Right now they are just three games back of Denver for the last playoff spot in the West, but they have to leap five teams to get it. No easy task, the Western Conference is unforgiving in punishing slumps. Memphis needs to turn things around sooner rather than later.
Gasol helps that a lot.
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 3
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 10
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 2
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 7
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 4
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 5
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 1
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 10