Dec 23, 2013, 12:26 PM EDT
In the 13 games the Memphis Grizzlies have been without Marc Gasol they are 4-9, with an offense scoring a point per possession (25th in the league in that stretch) and the defense giving up 107 points per 100 possessions (26th in the league). They have fallen to 11-15, 13th best in the West.
That’s a sign of how much they need him back to have any hope of making the playoffs.
So any news he is coming back earlier than expected (it was supposed to be six weeks at least and that was less than a month ago) would be welcomed. With that we bring you well connected Memphis Radio host Chris Vernon.
Hearing Marc Gasol could be back in 2 weeks. Marc thinks 10 days, docs leanin 20, so split the difference.—
Chris Vernon (@ChrisVernonShow) December 23, 2013
Players always tend to be optimistic about their recovery times and want to rush back, the doctors are more cautious. I’m not sure you can split the difference.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Still, Memphis needs their defensive anchor and the fulcrum of their offense back. This is a guy who has played through pain before. He averages 16 points and 7.1 rebounds a game, but his impact on the Grizzlies is bigger than that.
Right now they are just three games back of Denver for the last playoff spot in the West, but they have to leap five teams to get it. No easy task, the Western Conference is unforgiving in punishing slumps. Memphis needs to turn things around sooner rather than later.
Gasol helps that a lot.
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 0
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 11
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 66
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 65
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14
- Report: Knicks open to trading Iman Shumpert or J.R. Smith 29
- Top seven free agents still on the market 49