Dec 23, 2013, 3:03 PM EST
At this point any time the Lakers get a player back from injury it’s a cause for celebration.
So throw a party on Monday because the Lakers’ get Pau Gasol back, reports Dave McMenamin of ESPN. Gasol missed a game due to ongoing respiratory issues, something he has battled all season and tried to play through.
He will start on the road against the Suns next to Shawne Williams as the Lakers are moving Jordan Hill back to the bench, a move that will not sit well with Lakers fans. It’s likely a move about matching up with the smaller Suns lineups.
Gasol is averaging 15 points and 9.7 rebounds a game, but he has struggled to fit in with the Mike D’Antoni offensive system for two seasons now. It’s just an uncomfortable marriage.
Which is one reason you can expect a whole lot of Pau Gasol trade rumors as we head toward the trade deadline — and don’t be surprised if those have some impact on Gasol’s play. Also, don’t expect him to get moved — the value of the expiring contract has gone down around the league, and Gasol’s is massive at $19.3 million. Plus the Lakers don’t want take on any long-term contracts back, they want they cap space, which really limits the potential trade partners.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Christmas Day’s games. It’s just $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 12pm ET on Christmas Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Gasol can still play, but teams that have interest are more likely to wait until he is a free agent this summer rather than give up anything to get him now. Don’t expect the Lakers to retain him after this season (despite what is said right now), he’s going to command more than they are willing to spend.
While we’re at it, expect a lot of Jordan Hill trade chatter — and that deal is far more likely.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 0
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 35
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6