Dec 23, 2013, 6:49 PM EDT
Metta World Peace’s role with the Knicks has dwindled since the start of his season as his play has just not helped the team — he’s not looked like the defensive force the Knicks expected nor is he knocking down shots (he is shooting 40.2 percent on the season).
Now we know why — his knee has bothered him so much he has had it drained five times already this season, he said Monday to reporters. That’s a lot of fluid. And fluid doesn’t build up in your knee if everything is working as designed.
World Peace is out for the Knicks game Monday night against the Magic, and on Jan. 6 he is going to get the blood-spinning/platelet rich plasma therapy done on his knee, reports Peter Botte of the New York Daily News. That is the first date he could get it done, although he hopes to have it done sooner.
World Peace is not flying to Germany for the Kobe procedure; rather it will be done in New York City. How much time he misses both before and after remain up in the air.
This is another injury blow to a Knicks roster that has struggled to find any cohesion this season. After Monday in Orlando they head home to host Oklahoma City on Christmas Day, in front of a national television audience. Get embarrassed in that game and Mike Woodson may want to make sure his resume is in good shape.
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 0
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 9
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 55
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17