Dec 22, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Kevin Love’s outlet passes are a thing of beauty to any basketball lover. I could watch the above video over and over. Actually, while embedding it into this post, I did.
Outlet passes are an overlooked skill, and Love is the best outlet passer the NBA has seen in quite some time. Players like Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett are also good outlet passers and have been around seemingly forever, but they don’t turn outlets into highlights as regularly as Love.
When watching Love’s best outlets, though, it’s easy to forget about the player on the receiving end.
In Minnesota, that’s often Corey Brewer, and he has to make some impressive catches to make the plays work.
Brewer, via Steve McPherson for ESPN:
“I played receiver — it’s basically the same,” he said. “If I’m running a route, when I come out of my break or my cut, the ball is there. Kevin’s throwing it to a spot, so you’re actually running to the spot. So when I look at him and I know he’s going to throw it, I just try to run. If I can get in front of the last defender, I just know it’s going to drop right there. If it’s just a regular point guard, go for it. It’s like a smaller defensive back on Calvin Johnson.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $12,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Sunday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $2,500. Starts at 6pm ET on Sunday. Here’s the FanDuel link.Obviously, Johnson catching passes is more important to the Detroit Lions than Brewer catching outlet passes is to the Timberwolves. That’s just the nature of the sports and why Brewer doesn’t hold a candle to Johnson in terms of overall value.But as far as what type of play they’re making on the ball, yeah, the comparison makes sense. Both require great focus and body control, an remarkable duality in its own right.Maybe someone should make a video featuring the best outlet-pass catches. I might not watch that multiple times, but I’d at least look once.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 31
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 14
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 27
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 15
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 23
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20