Dec 22, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
Kevin Love’s outlet passes are a thing of beauty to any basketball lover. I could watch the above video over and over. Actually, while embedding it into this post, I did.
Outlet passes are an overlooked skill, and Love is the best outlet passer the NBA has seen in quite some time. Players like Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett are also good outlet passers and have been around seemingly forever, but they don’t turn outlets into highlights as regularly as Love.
When watching Love’s best outlets, though, it’s easy to forget about the player on the receiving end.
In Minnesota, that’s often Corey Brewer, and he has to make some impressive catches to make the plays work.
Brewer, via Steve McPherson for ESPN:
“I played receiver — it’s basically the same,” he said. “If I’m running a route, when I come out of my break or my cut, the ball is there. Kevin’s throwing it to a spot, so you’re actually running to the spot. So when I look at him and I know he’s going to throw it, I just try to run. If I can get in front of the last defender, I just know it’s going to drop right there. If it’s just a regular point guard, go for it. It’s like a smaller defensive back on Calvin Johnson.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $12,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Sunday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $2,500. Starts at 6pm ET on Sunday. Here’s the FanDuel link.Obviously, Johnson catching passes is more important to the Detroit Lions than Brewer catching outlet passes is to the Timberwolves. That’s just the nature of the sports and why Brewer doesn’t hold a candle to Johnson in terms of overall value.But as far as what type of play they’re making on the ball, yeah, the comparison makes sense. Both require great focus and body control, an remarkable duality in its own right.Maybe someone should make a video featuring the best outlet-pass catches. I might not watch that multiple times, but I’d at least look once.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 0
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 19
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18