Dec 22, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
Kevin Love’s outlet passes are a thing of beauty to any basketball lover. I could watch the above video over and over. Actually, while embedding it into this post, I did.
Outlet passes are an overlooked skill, and Love is the best outlet passer the NBA has seen in quite some time. Players like Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett are also good outlet passers and have been around seemingly forever, but they don’t turn outlets into highlights as regularly as Love.
When watching Love’s best outlets, though, it’s easy to forget about the player on the receiving end.
In Minnesota, that’s often Corey Brewer, and he has to make some impressive catches to make the plays work.
Brewer, via Steve McPherson for ESPN:
“I played receiver — it’s basically the same,” he said. “If I’m running a route, when I come out of my break or my cut, the ball is there. Kevin’s throwing it to a spot, so you’re actually running to the spot. So when I look at him and I know he’s going to throw it, I just try to run. If I can get in front of the last defender, I just know it’s going to drop right there. If it’s just a regular point guard, go for it. It’s like a smaller defensive back on Calvin Johnson.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $12,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Sunday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $2,500. Starts at 6pm ET on Sunday. Here’s the FanDuel link.Obviously, Johnson catching passes is more important to the Detroit Lions than Brewer catching outlet passes is to the Timberwolves. That’s just the nature of the sports and why Brewer doesn’t hold a candle to Johnson in terms of overall value.But as far as what type of play they’re making on the ball, yeah, the comparison makes sense. Both require great focus and body control, an remarkable duality in its own right.Maybe someone should make a video featuring the best outlet-pass catches. I might not watch that multiple times, but I’d at least look once.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8