Dec 22, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Patrick Beverley, relative to an average starting point guard, is not crucial to his team.
So, this news isn’t the end of the world, but make no mistake, this is a big setback for the Rockets. Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle:
- Offensive rating: 112.9
- Defensive rating: 100.2
- Net rating: +12.7
“Hopefully, I’ll be back Monday if there are no setbacks,” Lin said. “Just to get back in shape after having to sit, not do anything for a while, not even really being able to sit, let alone jog or run, it’s good to sweat again and get your body going.”Lin missed six games with a sprained a bruised knee and was just working his way back for two games before he went out again after running into a screen set by the Warriors’ Andrew Bogut, forcing him to miss all four games last week.
In the 40 minutes Lin has played with the Rockets’ other four starters, the results have been predictable. Houston plays much faster, scores significantly better, defends a lot worse and comes out behind.
- Offensive rating: 118.3
- Defensive rating: 116.3
- Net rating: +2.4
As far as second options go, Lin isn’t bad. But that’s predicated on him being healthy.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $12,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Sunday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $2,500. Starts at 6pm ET on Sunday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
If Lin can’t go, Aaron Brooks is next in line. He’s played just 10 minutes with the other four starters – alert: small sample – but the results have been amazing:
- Offensive rating: 133.6
- Defensive rating: 86.6
- Net rating: +47.1
If the Rockets use Brooks as their main point guard, those numbers will certainly worsen on both ends of the court. But that initial success offers at least hope they could get by with their third option.
Like I said, losing Beverley hurts the Rockets, but they’re relatively well equipped to handle it.
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 0
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 56
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58