Dec 21, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Richard Jefferson is in his 13th NBA season, and for the first time in his career will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.
After earning over $100 million in salary, you can understand why money will be the least of his concerns when signing what may be his final contract.
Jefferson was open in saying that he’ll be “championship hunting” when deciding where to play next, a comment that can rub some fans the wrong way. But Jefferson stood by it, explaining that there’s no loyalty from teams to players, and that everyone wants the chance to compete for the game’s ultimate prize.
“I wouldn’t say I’m unapologetic, but who doesn’t want to win a championship?” Jefferson said when asked Friday about his comments to former NBA player and analyst Kenny Smith.
“If I get an opportunity to play for a championship team, I’m going to go hunting for that,” Jefferson, who believes he has two or three years left as a player, told Smith. “I have no loyalty. I’m not one of those guys that played for the same team for 15 years like a Reggie Miller, who has to decide whether or not he’s going to do that. No. I’m a gun for hire.”
It seems that players with established Hall of Fame careers are the ones that receive the most grief by trying to chase a ring in the twilight of their playing days. Jefferson certainly isn’t at that level, and after having played for five different teams already, one more isn’t going to make a difference in his story unless he’s able to help it complete a championship season.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 26
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4