Dec 21, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Richard Jefferson is in his 13th NBA season, and for the first time in his career will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.
After earning over $100 million in salary, you can understand why money will be the least of his concerns when signing what may be his final contract.
Jefferson was open in saying that he’ll be “championship hunting” when deciding where to play next, a comment that can rub some fans the wrong way. But Jefferson stood by it, explaining that there’s no loyalty from teams to players, and that everyone wants the chance to compete for the game’s ultimate prize.
“I wouldn’t say I’m unapologetic, but who doesn’t want to win a championship?” Jefferson said when asked Friday about his comments to former NBA player and analyst Kenny Smith.
“If I get an opportunity to play for a championship team, I’m going to go hunting for that,” Jefferson, who believes he has two or three years left as a player, told Smith. “I have no loyalty. I’m not one of those guys that played for the same team for 15 years like a Reggie Miller, who has to decide whether or not he’s going to do that. No. I’m a gun for hire.”
It seems that players with established Hall of Fame careers are the ones that receive the most grief by trying to chase a ring in the twilight of their playing days. Jefferson certainly isn’t at that level, and after having played for five different teams already, one more isn’t going to make a difference in his story unless he’s able to help it complete a championship season.
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 10
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 27
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15