Dec 21, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Richard Jefferson is in his 13th NBA season, and for the first time in his career will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.
After earning over $100 million in salary, you can understand why money will be the least of his concerns when signing what may be his final contract.
Jefferson was open in saying that he’ll be “championship hunting” when deciding where to play next, a comment that can rub some fans the wrong way. But Jefferson stood by it, explaining that there’s no loyalty from teams to players, and that everyone wants the chance to compete for the game’s ultimate prize.
“I wouldn’t say I’m unapologetic, but who doesn’t want to win a championship?” Jefferson said when asked Friday about his comments to former NBA player and analyst Kenny Smith.
“If I get an opportunity to play for a championship team, I’m going to go hunting for that,” Jefferson, who believes he has two or three years left as a player, told Smith. “I have no loyalty. I’m not one of those guys that played for the same team for 15 years like a Reggie Miller, who has to decide whether or not he’s going to do that. No. I’m a gun for hire.”
It seems that players with established Hall of Fame careers are the ones that receive the most grief by trying to chase a ring in the twilight of their playing days. Jefferson certainly isn’t at that level, and after having played for five different teams already, one more isn’t going to make a difference in his story unless he’s able to help it complete a championship season.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49