LeBron says Heat shooters ‘already upset’ about Christmas Day jerseys

Dec 21, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT

Heat Christmas sleeve jersey

The Miami Heat have plenty of alternate jerseys, but haven’t been one of the teams to embrace the new sleeved models just yet.

Every team playing on Christmas Day will be giving the new-look tops a try, however, and that includes the Heat. But LeBron James said that the team’s shooters are worried about how the sleeves may affect their performance, and that’s obviously cause for concern from the team’s best player.

From Joe Goodman of the Miami Herald:

LeBron said in pregame that the Heat’s shooters “are already upset about” the Christmas jerseys.

LEBRON: “I can’t have my shooters out there worrying about some sleeves and not shooting the ball.”

To be fair, from what I understand the folks at adidas have been more than accommodating during this process — not only providing samples for players to practice in, but also providing custom fitted jerseys for players concerned about how the fit may affect their shot.

If players are discussing it, though, then it’s at least a little bit of an issue. I have a feeling that for one game it isn’t likely to matter all that much, especially against a Lakers team that will be without Kobe Bryant and that is dealing with a whole host of additional injuries.

1. pfic15 - Dec 21, 2013 at 8:33 AM

These things are hideous.

• denverhoopdreams - Dec 21, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Agreed. Hopefully Adam Silvers first move of business is banishing them forever.

2. mungman69 - Dec 21, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Try to sell them.

3. rodge1 - Dec 21, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Don’t want to offend anyone but they look like women’s jerseys.

• 00maltliquor - Dec 21, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Don’t worry about offending NO one buddy! Speak your mind! I agree with you wholeheartedly.

4. noleitup - Dec 21, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I think steph curry disagrees.

• money2long - Dec 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM

he made all of his 3s in the nba jingle bell commercial while wearing it though :D

5. longtallsam - Dec 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Forty years ago, I had to wear those damn things in junior high ball . We couldn’t stand them.

6. gquesen - Dec 21, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Forty years ago? Really? I thought these unis were the new thing on the block.

7. paboese - Dec 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM

If LBJ isn’t the NBAs biggest crybaby, tell me who is.

8. tcclark - Dec 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM

There’s a reason why basketball jerseys don’t have sleeves. The constrict your arms while shooting and therefore can mess up with your rhythm and motion in your jumper. Forget about the aesthetics of the jersey and focus more on the players’ ability to do their job.

9. mackcarrington - Dec 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Good grief!!
    Is wearing a T-shirt really going to affect someone’s shot?

• tcclark - Dec 21, 2013 at 12:23 PM

you’ve obviously never tried to shoot a basketball with your shirt tucked in. Try it sometime.

• mackcarrington - Dec 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I didn’t know the issue was having a shirt tucked in. I thought it was the sleeves.
        And they’re not wearing long sleeved shirts. Now THAT would make a difference.
        Do you remember Patrick Ewing when he was in college? he wore a jersey OVER his T-shirt.
        He seemed to play alright.

• tcclark - Dec 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM

it’s the combination of the sleeves and having the shirt tucked in. If you put your hands up while wearing a t-shirt the bottom of the t-shirt raises up, sometimes showing off your stomach depending on how short your -t-shirt is. If your shirt is tucked in, the bottom of the shirt pulls against your arms as you raise them. With a sleeveless jersey your arms are free to move wherever they’d like to. As a shooter, you don’t want to have to fight against your clothing to get into the shooting motion. Shooting is all about rhythm and timing. The slightest adjustment in your shooting motion can cause a huge difference.

Wearing a t-shirt under a jersey is different. When you wear a tee under a jersey you tuck the jersey in, but not the shirt. Then the bottom of the shirt is free to move wherever it like underneath the jersey.

I realize this all sounds ridiculous, but I speak from experience. I played with a t-shirt underneath a jersey for years and never had a problem, but once I had to play with just a t-shirt and the shirt needed to be tucked in and it made a huge difference in my jumper. It’s weird.

• smosit - Dec 21, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Paul Pierce wore a T under his jersey all through college. didn’t stop him. it’s all what you’re used to.

10. johnmr12 - Dec 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM

They should trade places with 12 homeless war veterans for that day. They can spend the day at the shelter and let the vets wear the ugly jerseys in the game.

11. timberwolvesbrisin - Dec 21, 2013 at 11:56 AM

“especially against a Lakers team that will be without Kobe Bryant and that is dealing with a whole host of additional injuries”

this team is better without kobe

• tcclark - Dec 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM

and the Packers are better without Aaron Rodgers

• mackcarrington - Dec 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Not to say that Kobe doesn’t have a positive impact, but this current team moves the ball around and everyone gets a chance to see the ball. The 6 games that Kobe played, the ball usually stopped in his hands , and it was just business as for Kobe: everyone standing around waiting for him to make his moves. This particular group may just find themselves without Kobe.

• timberwolvesbrisin - Dec 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM

“and the Packers are better without Aaron Rodgers”

You obviously havent watched much of this lakers team. Their ceiling is proably higher with Kobe, however, overall this team plays much better team ball without kobe. D’antoni is allowed to actaully coach his way.

• tcclark - Dec 21, 2013 at 3:30 PM

And have you seen how the Packers have been playing without Aaron Rodgers? Did you see what they did to the Cowboys? And yet every team in the NFL would rather face Matt Flynn than Aaron Rodgers.

I’ll take the team with one of the 10 greatest players of all time over the one without him every time. I’ll take Kobe’s 5 rings over D’antoni’s NBA Playoffs Participation Trophy.

12. arliepro - Dec 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Some teams wore sleeved shirts during the NBA’s Las Vegas summer league. At least one of the Lakers couldn’t stand his shirt and cut slits in the sleeves. Wouldn’t surprise me if something like this happens on Christmas Day.

This is a marketing thing. It might be OK for sales, but not for players. The NBA players union ought to speak up if these unis are foisted on the whole league. Wish the marketing office would allow nickname unis for the whole league instead. Those could bring in really big bucks.

• fanofthegame79 - Dec 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM

They will be doing a nickname jersey sometime this season. At least the Heat will be – Ray Allen will be wearing ‘Jesus Shuttlesworth’, or something close.

13. jturbo1402003 - Dec 21, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I wasn’t a fan of the jersey’s either at first but was just in NYC w wife kids & her family for Radio City show. But h stopped in the NBA Store & in person I think they look nice. The Carmelo Orange Knicks Jsy was sick. As a fan I’d much rather wear a Jsy that has sleeves. The average person is gonna wear a T-shirt under jsy anyway. In a Magic fan but if they would’ve had an Oladipo short sleeve joint I definitely would’ve bought it.

14. 32magicman - Dec 21, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Sleeves suck! Leave the nba alone adidas!

• antistratfordian - Dec 22, 2013 at 3:08 AM

“Money doesn’t suck.”

-Adidas & NBA

15. Carl Hancock - Dec 21, 2013 at 4:56 PM

It looks like a womens cut t-shirt. I’m sure it looks more jersey like in person but in the photo it looks like a womens tee.

16. nypostheadlines - Dec 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Pretty much sounds like lebron’s attempt at politely saying these jerseys are ugly as sin.

17. fnf417 - Dec 21, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Lame

18. Brinke - Dec 21, 2013 at 11:21 PM

“my shooters.” MY shooters.

snerk.

19. muhangis - Dec 22, 2013 at 3:31 AM

I think I’m the only one who likes them, oh well.

20. muhangis - Dec 22, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Ppl are making too big of an issue about these sleeves. Have we become such grand whiners in America? Get over it people. Hate them so much, then no one is making you watch the game. Damn.

21. davemvh - Dec 22, 2013 at 7:45 AM

These overpaid pansies,always complaining about something in ADVANCE so they can have an excuse! If it were me paying these women hundreds of millions,they would wear what ever i told them to wear,period.my god,arent people tired of listening to these spoiled little bitches whine?

22. footballer4ever - Dec 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM

@Rodge1

“Don’t want to offend anyone but they look like women’s jerseys.”

I think that is what is bothering more, but just using the shooting effect. Hey, the NBA gotta sell jerseys to women too so why not have their players wear them so women can buy it in mass.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches