Dec 21, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The Celtics have been better than most expected through the first 27 games of the season, and thanks to playing in the dreadful Atlantic Division, their 12-15 record has them sitting at the four seed in the Eastern Conference standings.
That isn’t likely to last all year long, however, and being three games under .500 is not really acceptable when considering the long-term future of the franchise.
Boston was rumored to be active in trade discussions with Houston for Omer Asik earlier in the week, and how close they got to getting a deal done is something that will only be truly known by the people in the two teams’ front offices. Being in a rebuilding situation, the Celtics will likely have talks with many teams leading up to the Feb. 20 trade deadline, and head coach Brad Stevens doesn’t want his players focusing on what might happen when so much can change over the next couple of months.
“Here’s what I told them today and I think it’s important,” Stevens explained, “I’m not going to talk to them about anything that is a rumor. But if I know something, my door is always open. They can come in and I’ll tell them straight up what I know, but the bottom line is, we live in a world that every day because of technology, we can better clutter our mind.”
Stevens continued: “The deal is, you can’t play basketball without a clear mind. And so you’ve got to do your best to control what you can, clear your mind, and not get too overly concerned about things that are not confirmed by people in the position that are ultimately going to make decisions.”
It’s easier said than done, of course, with the players having to deal with questions about any reported talks anytime a new situation presents itself. As a head coach, Stevens wants his players as distraction-free as possible, so refusing to discuss every rumor that comes up is probably the right approach.
- Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 4
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16