Dec 21, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
The Celtics have been better than most expected through the first 27 games of the season, and thanks to playing in the dreadful Atlantic Division, their 12-15 record has them sitting at the four seed in the Eastern Conference standings.
That isn’t likely to last all year long, however, and being three games under .500 is not really acceptable when considering the long-term future of the franchise.
Boston was rumored to be active in trade discussions with Houston for Omer Asik earlier in the week, and how close they got to getting a deal done is something that will only be truly known by the people in the two teams’ front offices. Being in a rebuilding situation, the Celtics will likely have talks with many teams leading up to the Feb. 20 trade deadline, and head coach Brad Stevens doesn’t want his players focusing on what might happen when so much can change over the next couple of months.
“Here’s what I told them today and I think it’s important,” Stevens explained, “I’m not going to talk to them about anything that is a rumor. But if I know something, my door is always open. They can come in and I’ll tell them straight up what I know, but the bottom line is, we live in a world that every day because of technology, we can better clutter our mind.”
Stevens continued: “The deal is, you can’t play basketball without a clear mind. And so you’ve got to do your best to control what you can, clear your mind, and not get too overly concerned about things that are not confirmed by people in the position that are ultimately going to make decisions.”
It’s easier said than done, of course, with the players having to deal with questions about any reported talks anytime a new situation presents itself. As a head coach, Stevens wants his players as distraction-free as possible, so refusing to discuss every rumor that comes up is probably the right approach.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 8
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11