Dec 20, 2013, 4:47 AM EDT
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while watching my Long Beach State 49ers beat USC (at least that’s what I did with part of my night)…
Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder. He led his team to an easy win and how about this for a line: 32 points on 13-of-20 shooting, 4-of-5 from three, nine rebounds, six assists and three steals. But really why he is here with the high grade is something Royce Young pointed out on twitter: In his last four games Durant is averaging 30.3 points on 60.8 percent shooting overall, 64.7 percent from three, plus he’s at 90.9 percent from the free throw line. His true shooting percentage in that time is 72.7 percent. Flat. Out. Ridiculous.
Marco Belinelli, San Antonio Spurs. San Antonio’s front office is amazing in its ability to identify guys they can plug into their system who will excel. Belinelli is this year’s find. He came off the bench to score 28 points on 10-of-16 shooting in this one, including going 4-of-8 from three. He had 17 of those points in the third quarter. Somebody had to step up with Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili out and Belinelli was the guy.
Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors. This is the kind of game the Warriors need to win to be taken seriously as contenders. Curry put up good numbers — 30 points and 15 assists — but he needed 28 shots to get those points and he had five turnovers. He did hit a key three late to tie and overall Curry was good, but not great on a night they needed him to be.
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 0
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 11
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 66
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 65
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14
- Report: Knicks open to trading Iman Shumpert or J.R. Smith 29
- Top seven free agents still on the market 49