Dec 20, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
Yesterday we passed along the report that before Philadelphia had starting shopping Thaddeus Young around he had gone to the team and asked for a trade. He didn’t want to be part of a rebuilding process.
If you’ve watched how this game was played with others guys trying to get moved then you knew what was coming next — the denial that he asked to be traded.
“I just think it is funny that it is ‘sources’ that say I asked to be traded,” Young said. “I am here, ready to give 110 percent each and every game. I am ready to just play and try to win basketball games.”
There was no yes or no in his answer, so Young was asked point blank: Did he ask to be traded?
“No,” Young said. “My agent has talked to [general manager Sam Hinkie] about different situations and options. I know there have been talks about me being traded and me having a lot of frustrations, but that comes with losing basketball games. People have to realize that when you are in a losing situation like we are now, we are going to get frustrated and everyone is going to tense up a little bit. That is what has been happening.”
No doubt as long as he pulls on a Sixers uniform he will give it his all for them. That is different than wanting out, but there is a game to how that is done.
First off, a player can’t go public with a trade request lest they incur the wrath of David Stern — publicly ask for a trade and it will bring down a severe fine.
So players’ agents or others in their inner circle make the trade request known.
Look at what Young said: He rightfully can say he did not ask for a trade. Now, his agent has talked to the Sixers GM “about different situations and options” and you can bet a lot of those were trade discussions where the agent made sure what Young really wants is clearly communicated. However the player is given plausible deniability, just like a president.
I still expect you will see Young moved before the trade deadline Feb. 20. The semantics of the trade request does not matter.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13