Dec 20, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
The last time we saw French center Alexis Ajinca in an NBA game it was 2011 with the Raptors. He had been a bit player with Dallas and Charlotte before that.
Now he’s back getting another shot with the New Orleans Pelicans, reports the Times Picayune.
The New Orleans Pelicans have reached a two-year contract agreement with 7-foot-2 French center Alexis Ajinca, and he will join the team in Portland before Saturday’s game, his agent Mark Bartelstein said by telephone Thursday night….
The Pelicans are desperate for more depth at center. Jason Smith is their starting center, but he’s a natural power forward. Backup center Greg Stiemsma has been out since mid-November with a sprained left knee.
This is a roll of the dice by the Pelicans, who really need another big and can take afford to take a chance.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 0
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48