Dec 20, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
The last time we saw French center Alexis Ajinca in an NBA game it was 2011 with the Raptors. He had been a bit player with Dallas and Charlotte before that.
Now he’s back getting another shot with the New Orleans Pelicans, reports the Times Picayune.
The New Orleans Pelicans have reached a two-year contract agreement with 7-foot-2 French center Alexis Ajinca, and he will join the team in Portland before Saturday’s game, his agent Mark Bartelstein said by telephone Thursday night….
The Pelicans are desperate for more depth at center. Jason Smith is their starting center, but he’s a natural power forward. Backup center Greg Stiemsma has been out since mid-November with a sprained left knee.
This is a roll of the dice by the Pelicans, who really need another big and can take afford to take a chance.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- PBT Extra: Are Pacers or Spurs in any trouble in first round? 5
- All PBT’s first round playoff previews in one place 0
- Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 26
- Craig Sager has acute leukemia 28
- NBA Playoff Preview: Dallas Mavericks vs. San Antonio Spurs 6