Dec 20, 2013, 4:07 PM EST
The last time we saw French center Alexis Ajinca in an NBA game it was 2011 with the Raptors. He had been a bit player with Dallas and Charlotte before that.
Now he’s back getting another shot with the New Orleans Pelicans, reports the Times Picayune.
The New Orleans Pelicans have reached a two-year contract agreement with 7-foot-2 French center Alexis Ajinca, and he will join the team in Portland before Saturday’s game, his agent Mark Bartelstein said by telephone Thursday night….
The Pelicans are desperate for more depth at center. Jason Smith is their starting center, but he’s a natural power forward. Backup center Greg Stiemsma has been out since mid-November with a sprained left knee.
This is a roll of the dice by the Pelicans, who really need another big and can take afford to take a chance.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 10
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14