Dec 19, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT
Omer Asik may not like it, but he’s staying a Rocket for now. Probably.
After weeks of talks — not to mention media and fan speculation — Rockets’ GM Daryl Morey has looked at the trade market for Asik and decided it’s not good enough.
The Rockets have pulled out of all Asik trade talks and will keep the big man for now, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports (among others).
Asik has requested a trade several times and switched agents in an effort to get moved. He has not been happy since — following a strong breakout season for him — the Rockets went out and got Dwight Howard to take over at center.
This is all about gaining leverage — the way to get the best deal on a new car is to be willing to walk out of the dealership without the keys.
Morey felt everyone knew about his self-imposed trade deadline of this Thursday — because they did (after Friday any players he gets back in an Asik trade cannot be packaged with others in a follow-up trade). With that Morey felt he was only getting lowball offers, so he walked out of the dealership without the keys.
Reports had the Rockets talking to the Celtics for a deal involving Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee and a future first round pick. There also had been talk of a deal with Philadelphia, likely involving Spencer Hawes among others.
There is little chance Asik is with the Rockets after the Feb. 20 trade deadline, but it’s not going to happen now…
Probably. Again, if you want to put pressure on the other side in a negotiation you walk away from the table. The Rockets did that, it’s possible a team caves in the next 24 hours and gives Morey a deal he wants.
Otherwise, this cloud follows the Rockets around for a while longer.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 20
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10