Dec 19, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
Reeling from the latest injury to Kobe Bryant and with no healthy point guards able to return to action anytime soon, the Lakers signed a capable initiator of the offense from the D-League to bolster the team’s ever-eroding roster.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports reports that L.A. has agreed to a deal with Kendall Marshall, who was selected with the 13th overall pick of the 2012 NBA draft by the Phoenix Suns.
Marshall was a project of a player when the Suns drafted him, and once the old regime was out and the team had Goran Dragic and Eric Bledsoe in place for the coming season, Marshall became expendable. He was part of the deal that sent Marcin Gortat to the Wizards in exchange for Emeka Okafor, but along with Shannon Brown was waived after the trade was completed.
With no other suitors lining up to sign him, Marshall wisely took his talents to the D-League, both to stay on teams’ radar and to stay ready in case an opportunity like this presented itself.
Marshall seemed ready to compete for a meaningful spot on the Suns’ roster heading into Summer League, and appeared to be in excellent shape and ready to play significant minutes running Jeff Hornacek’s high-speed offense. But he never got that chance.
Marshall has never been the most athletic player on the floor, but he possesses a high basketball IQ and has proven capable of knocking down open looks from three-point distance when the defense has chosen to let him shoot. His rookie season averages were so low that they’re not worth repeating, but as a ball-handler with excellent court vision, the Lakers made a nice pickup to plug a necessary short-term hole, especially for the price.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 13
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31