Dec 19, 2013, 5:46 PM EDT
Not that the Lakers were expecting Steve Nash to return like the cavalry charging over the mountain to save the day, but now we know for sure that is not happening.
Steve Nash is going to be out at least another month, he announced to the media on Thursday afternoon. That announcement came at basically the same time the Lakers announced that Kobe Bryant would be out for six weeks with a fracture in his left knee.
For Nash, this is all tied to the nerve root issue impacting his back and leg that have hobbled him since last season. ESPN’s Ramona Shelburne spoke to Nash about this.
Nash came back earlier this season but could only play six games before being sidelined again with the same issue.
Steve Nash wants to return this season and contribute, he doesn’t want to be forced out of the NBA due to injury. Like any great athlete, he wants to leave on his terms.
However, there are real questions about whether that can happen. Whether Nash can play again this season let along next season when he is still under contract. Retirement is not a word he is going to seriously discuss yet. But it’s on peoples’ minds.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 19
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 17
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 17
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80