Dec 19, 2013, 5:46 PM EDT
Not that the Lakers were expecting Steve Nash to return like the cavalry charging over the mountain to save the day, but now we know for sure that is not happening.
Steve Nash is going to be out at least another month, he announced to the media on Thursday afternoon. That announcement came at basically the same time the Lakers announced that Kobe Bryant would be out for six weeks with a fracture in his left knee.
For Nash, this is all tied to the nerve root issue impacting his back and leg that have hobbled him since last season. ESPN’s Ramona Shelburne spoke to Nash about this.
Nash came back earlier this season but could only play six games before being sidelined again with the same issue.
Steve Nash wants to return this season and contribute, he doesn’t want to be forced out of the NBA due to injury. Like any great athlete, he wants to leave on his terms.
However, there are real questions about whether that can happen. Whether Nash can play again this season let along next season when he is still under contract. Retirement is not a word he is going to seriously discuss yet. But it’s on peoples’ minds.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 2
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 13
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 22
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29