Dec 19, 2013, 5:46 PM EDT
Not that the Lakers were expecting Steve Nash to return like the cavalry charging over the mountain to save the day, but now we know for sure that is not happening.
Steve Nash is going to be out at least another month, he announced to the media on Thursday afternoon. That announcement came at basically the same time the Lakers announced that Kobe Bryant would be out for six weeks with a fracture in his left knee.
For Nash, this is all tied to the nerve root issue impacting his back and leg that have hobbled him since last season. ESPN’s Ramona Shelburne spoke to Nash about this.
Nash came back earlier this season but could only play six games before being sidelined again with the same issue.
Steve Nash wants to return this season and contribute, he doesn’t want to be forced out of the NBA due to injury. Like any great athlete, he wants to leave on his terms.
However, there are real questions about whether that can happen. Whether Nash can play again this season let along next season when he is still under contract. Retirement is not a word he is going to seriously discuss yet. But it’s on peoples’ minds.
- Reports: Bulls close to firing Tom Thibodeau 0
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 0
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 38
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 3
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 82
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 23