Dec 19, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
Ersan Ilyasova has not been himself this season – the guy who averaged 13.2 points a game on 46.2 percent shooting and 44.4 percent from three last season is averaging 8.2 points a game on 38.3 percent shooing this season and 21.6 percent from three. His stats are like that across the board. To use PER as a snapshot, he has gone from an above average 18.3 last season to a “why isn’t he in the D-League?” 8.9 this season.
A lot of that is due to a rash of injuries — thumb, hamstring and most lately an ankle sprain that has lingered from the preseason and been aggravated.
The ankle injury means we might not see Ilyasova for a bit, reports Charlie Gardner of the Journal Sentinel.
The Bucks went into this season saying they didn’t want to tank, but early struggles and injuries have made them the worst team in the NBA so far this season.
To paraphrase Williams Shakespeare from Twelfth Night: Some teams are born to tank, some achieve tanking, and others have tanking thrust upon them. The Bucks may have had it thrust upon them, but as our own D.J. Foster has noted at this point they need to embrace it. If you’re going to be bad, this is the year to do it.
So don’t rush Ilyasova back.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30