Dec 19, 2013, 10:13 AM EDT
Andrea Bargnani made a play near the end of the first overtime session on Wednesday in Milwaukee that was as boneheaded as they come, and could’ve easily cost his desperate Knicks team a much-needed win.
After a missed shot by Carmelo Anthony, Tyson Chandler tipped out the offensive rebound, which landed in Bargnani’s hands. The Knicks didn’t need to do anything at that point except wait to be intentionally fouled by the Bucks, and then head to the free throw line to try seal the victory.
Without hesitation, however, Bargnani immediately launched a three which rimmed out and was rebounded by the Bucks, who ended up tying the game on the ensuing possession to force a second overtime.
Afterward, the Knicks had various reactions to Bargnani’s incomprehensible shot.
“It was aggressive and it definitely was a mistake,’’ Bargnani said. “It’s a good thing we won the game and stayed together.’’ …
Carmelo Anthony was so stunned by Bargnani’s shot, he said, “I thought I shot an airball. That’s why I thought he shot it quick. The game should’ve been over with. We got to get better at that.’’ …
“I told him don’t worry about it,’’ Tyson Chandler said. “That’s what you got teammates for. We’ll cover for you. Will get this win and all will be forgotten. It will be a good learning experience.’’
The Knicks ended up winning, but that’s not really the point. For the second straight contest, the team made a curious decision in the waning moments that was questioned by every sane basketball fan who was watching.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 25
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15