Dec 19, 2013, 10:13 AM EDT
Andrea Bargnani made a play near the end of the first overtime session on Wednesday in Milwaukee that was as boneheaded as they come, and could’ve easily cost his desperate Knicks team a much-needed win.
After a missed shot by Carmelo Anthony, Tyson Chandler tipped out the offensive rebound, which landed in Bargnani’s hands. The Knicks didn’t need to do anything at that point except wait to be intentionally fouled by the Bucks, and then head to the free throw line to try seal the victory.
Without hesitation, however, Bargnani immediately launched a three which rimmed out and was rebounded by the Bucks, who ended up tying the game on the ensuing possession to force a second overtime.
Afterward, the Knicks had various reactions to Bargnani’s incomprehensible shot.
“It was aggressive and it definitely was a mistake,’’ Bargnani said. “It’s a good thing we won the game and stayed together.’’ …
Carmelo Anthony was so stunned by Bargnani’s shot, he said, “I thought I shot an airball. That’s why I thought he shot it quick. The game should’ve been over with. We got to get better at that.’’ …
“I told him don’t worry about it,’’ Tyson Chandler said. “That’s what you got teammates for. We’ll cover for you. Will get this win and all will be forgotten. It will be a good learning experience.’’
The Knicks ended up winning, but that’s not really the point. For the second straight contest, the team made a curious decision in the waning moments that was questioned by every sane basketball fan who was watching.
- Report: Michael Beasley reaches agreement with Memphis Grizzlies 0
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 4
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14