Dec 19, 2013, 10:13 AM EDT
Andrea Bargnani made a play near the end of the first overtime session on Wednesday in Milwaukee that was as boneheaded as they come, and could’ve easily cost his desperate Knicks team a much-needed win.
After a missed shot by Carmelo Anthony, Tyson Chandler tipped out the offensive rebound, which landed in Bargnani’s hands. The Knicks didn’t need to do anything at that point except wait to be intentionally fouled by the Bucks, and then head to the free throw line to try seal the victory.
Without hesitation, however, Bargnani immediately launched a three which rimmed out and was rebounded by the Bucks, who ended up tying the game on the ensuing possession to force a second overtime.
Afterward, the Knicks had various reactions to Bargnani’s incomprehensible shot.
“It was aggressive and it definitely was a mistake,’’ Bargnani said. “It’s a good thing we won the game and stayed together.’’ …
Carmelo Anthony was so stunned by Bargnani’s shot, he said, “I thought I shot an airball. That’s why I thought he shot it quick. The game should’ve been over with. We got to get better at that.’’ …
“I told him don’t worry about it,’’ Tyson Chandler said. “That’s what you got teammates for. We’ll cover for you. Will get this win and all will be forgotten. It will be a good learning experience.’’
The Knicks ended up winning, but that’s not really the point. For the second straight contest, the team made a curious decision in the waning moments that was questioned by every sane basketball fan who was watching.
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 6
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 12
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 20
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 34