Dec 18, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
The New York Knicks are a team that can’t win consistently without Tyson Chandler in the lineup.
You can blame that on whomever you wish — coach Mike Woodson, management, James Dolan, Justin Bieiber, there is plenty of blame to go around — but it remains a fact they need him on defense to protect the rim, plus Chandler is a boost on offense.
And they get him back Wednesday night at Milwaukee.
The Knicks made it official after shootaround. It’s not a shock, his return was expected this week, still it is the best news the Knicks have had in a long time.
Chandler played just four games before suffering a fracture of the right fibula that has sidelined him since. Still, those four games showed what he meant to New York — the Knicks’ defense allowed 92.2 points per 100 possessions when Chandler is on the court and 107.1 when he sat. (The Knicks last five games they have allowed 106.4 per 100 possessions and went 2-3.)
This is a good game to ease him back in — the Bucks are a team the Knicks should beat handily and be able to get Chandler some rest.
However he’s not going to get a lot of rest going forward. Because they are in the Leastern Conference they are still just three games out of a playoff slot at 7-17, but there is a lot of pressure on the Knicks (read: Mike Woodson) to turn this ship around right now. They are going to lean on Chandler to do that.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 0
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20