Dec 18, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
The New York Knicks are a team that can’t win consistently without Tyson Chandler in the lineup.
You can blame that on whomever you wish — coach Mike Woodson, management, James Dolan, Justin Bieiber, there is plenty of blame to go around — but it remains a fact they need him on defense to protect the rim, plus Chandler is a boost on offense.
And they get him back Wednesday night at Milwaukee.
The Knicks made it official after shootaround. It’s not a shock, his return was expected this week, still it is the best news the Knicks have had in a long time.
Chandler played just four games before suffering a fracture of the right fibula that has sidelined him since. Still, those four games showed what he meant to New York — the Knicks’ defense allowed 92.2 points per 100 possessions when Chandler is on the court and 107.1 when he sat. (The Knicks last five games they have allowed 106.4 per 100 possessions and went 2-3.)
This is a good game to ease him back in — the Bucks are a team the Knicks should beat handily and be able to get Chandler some rest.
However he’s not going to get a lot of rest going forward. Because they are in the Leastern Conference they are still just three games out of a playoff slot at 7-17, but there is a lot of pressure on the Knicks (read: Mike Woodson) to turn this ship around right now. They are going to lean on Chandler to do that.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43