Dec 18, 2013, 2:49 AM EDT
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while salivating over the idea of a “Rounders” sequel. Or wincing at the idea. (Count me with the latter group.)
Damian Lillard, Portland Trail Blazers. Two clutch game winners in a row. Tuesday night he had 23 of his 36 points in the second half and helped spark a 22-7 run that seemed to have Portland in control midway through the fourth — then Kyrie Irving helped spark changed everything. The Cavs went on a 12-2 run and tied it all up with 7.1 seconds left.
All of which set this up. Dagger.
Andre Iguodala, Golden State Warriors. Yes, Stephen Curry was carrying the offense (30 points), but do you think it’s a coincidence that Iguodala returns to action after 26 days off and the Pelicans only shoot 37.5 percent on the night? Iguodala himself only played 17 minutes and had 2 points on 1-of-4 shooting (finishing an alley-oop from Stephen Curry), there certainly was rust. But the simple fact is Golden State’s ball movement was improved as was their focus on defense. And that all ties to Iguodala.
Denver Nuggets’ pick-and-roll defense. Brian Shaw set out a strategy of switching on the pick-and-roll Tuesday, especially when Kevin Durant had the ball. Not many doubles, just switches. Durant ended up with 30 points and would just shoot over the top of whoever came at him or back poor Randy Foye down in the block. Durant is going to get his, you just need to make him work for them. Denver didn’t. Next meeting Shaw needs a new strategy.
Kyrie Irving, Dion Waiters (Cleveland Cavaliers). It was in a losing effort but the two guys who reportedly are not tight off the court looked good together on it — they combined for 50 points and both had key roles in the Cavaliers fourth-quarter comeback that made it a game at the end. This was what the Cleveland front office had in mind with this pairing, but with Waiters on the trade block we may not see many more nights like this.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 13
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 21
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 31
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2