Dec 18, 2013, 10:45 AM EST
But Toronto also got a new spirit.
Without the shoot-first, do-little-else Gay, the Raptors have gone 3-1. They’re just clicking a little better. They might be playing with a little more passion, too.
Terrence Ross certainly is.
Landry Fields replaced Gay in the starting lineup in Toronto’s first game after the trade, but Ross had 11 points and two steals off the bench. He’s started the three games since, averaging 15.7 points and 5.0 rebounds per contest.
“It’s an opportunity,” Ross said. “Probably the biggest opportunity of my career so I’m just taking advantage of it and making sure I capitalize on things.”
“I’m doing anything and everything to keep the position I have right now,” Ross said. “It’s not only about scoring. It’s about doing whatever you are asked and playing hard on defence and really not having any mental lapses.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $85,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This is why trading Gay was necessary.
Ross, 22, has shown flashes of brilliances in his two-year career. He’s also been unsteady.
The Raptors must figure out what they have in Ross, and this will give them a chance to do that.
If Ross plays well, he should set himself up as a key piece of their core. If he doesn’t, they will seek to add another wing player. The choice doesn’t need to reveal itself immediately, but it must become clear eventually.
At least Masai Ujiri will have the luxury of seeing Ross in a full opportunity and with full motivation, which should make the general manager’s assessment easier.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 8: Kobe Bryant returns 0
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Cavaliers shouldn’t hit panic button, may want to locate it 2
- Carmelo Anthony sits out second half vs. Portland with sore knee 4
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 39
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 16
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 16
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 30
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 22