Dec 18, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
Houston’s Omer Asik is going to get traded Thursday. Not Wednesday —deals are still being hammered out. Not Friday — anyone acquired this day or later can’t be traded again at the February trade deadline in a combined deal with other teammates. It will happen Thursday.
It looks more and more like the Celtics will be one of the teams involved. Whether they are the final landing spot for Asik and who exactly is going to be shipped out in the deal, remains up in the air.
Here is the latest, via Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports
There very possibly will be a third team involved (maybe the final landing spot for Courtney Lee, although Houston reportedly liked him).
Cleveland and Atlanta are reportedly out of the mix plus it appears Portland was never close, reports Sam Amick of the USA Today.
If it is Houston and Boston, here are my first thoughts:
If Danny Ainge does this you have to wonder what the long-term plan would be. Short term Asik can provide improved defense in the paint, plus this solves the power forward logjam. If they want to make a run at the playoffs this year they get a little better with this. But are the playoffs the goal? I would expect Ainge to try and flip Asik again at the deadline — he is not the long-term answer in Boston (an Asik with Rajon Rondo pairing would not exactly scream “building a contender”).
Kevin McHale had Courtney Lee on his Houston team before and played him a lot because he liked his defense. The Rockets certainly need some perimeter defense now.
This deal makes some sense for Houston, and they can see what Bass could potentially draw as a trade piece at the deadline.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 9
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 39
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31