Dec 18, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
Houston’s Omer Asik is going to get traded Thursday. Not Wednesday —deals are still being hammered out. Not Friday — anyone acquired this day or later can’t be traded again at the February trade deadline in a combined deal with other teammates. It will happen Thursday.
It looks more and more like the Celtics will be one of the teams involved. Whether they are the final landing spot for Asik and who exactly is going to be shipped out in the deal, remains up in the air.
Here is the latest, via Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports
There very possibly will be a third team involved (maybe the final landing spot for Courtney Lee, although Houston reportedly liked him).
Cleveland and Atlanta are reportedly out of the mix plus it appears Portland was never close, reports Sam Amick of the USA Today.
If it is Houston and Boston, here are my first thoughts:
If Danny Ainge does this you have to wonder what the long-term plan would be. Short term Asik can provide improved defense in the paint, plus this solves the power forward logjam. If they want to make a run at the playoffs this year they get a little better with this. But are the playoffs the goal? I would expect Ainge to try and flip Asik again at the deadline — he is not the long-term answer in Boston (an Asik with Rajon Rondo pairing would not exactly scream “building a contender”).
Kevin McHale had Courtney Lee on his Houston team before and played him a lot because he liked his defense. The Rockets certainly need some perimeter defense now.
This deal makes some sense for Houston, and they can see what Bass could potentially draw as a trade piece at the deadline.
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 7
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 51
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9
- Who is left on the board after wild first day of NBA free agency? 31