PBT Extra: Damian Lillard or Kyrie Irving? Plus coaching hot seat talk.

Dec 18, 2013, 5:11 PM EST

Damian Lillard nailed a three pointer from roughly Shaker Heights to give the Trail Blazers a dramatic 119-116 win over Kyrie Irving‘s Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday night. That prompted Kay Adams to start off this edition of PBT Extra with the question Lillard or Irving?

We also talk about the rise of LaMarcus Aldridge to a guy mentioned in the MVP race when he’s put up numbers like this for seasons.

Finally, we discuss what coach is on the hottest’s seat. Yes, he works in Manhattan.

1. antistratfordian - Dec 18, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Well Kyrie Irving is trending the wrong way. As Brian Windhorst wrote recently:

“Since Irving’s fantastic performance in his first All-Star Game — he scored 15 points and put on a display of dribbling and passing skills as a 20-year-old first-timer — he’s not exactly been the same player. Since that weekend last season in Houston when he seemed to verify his status as an elite player, his game has taken an unmistakable slide.”

I’d go with Irving if I was certain that he wasn’t going to pull a Tyreke Evans on us – but I’m not sure when Kyrie-The-Superstar is going to re-emerge. Perhaps next year? By that time Lillard may be in a different room.

• pbtunpaidwriter - Dec 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I’ll never forget how Kyrie dominated the game against the Thunder last year and single-handedly brought the Cavs back and beat them. The masked performance he had at MSG last year in a loss.

Kyrie definitely took a step down from last year which is concerning but he’s reached heights Lillard hasn’t yet. And he’s 2 years younger than Lillard.

Irving FTW.

• antistratfordian - Dec 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Yeah, I’m a big Irving fan, but I’m a little concerned about his play now when before I was only worried about his health.

2. 2016olympics - Dec 18, 2013 at 6:11 PM

If only Cleveland took Lillard instead of Waiters last year…that would be some fun back-court to watch.

3. senorpapino - Dec 18, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Lillard. Putting up almost identical numbers but the Blazers are winning a lot more and Lillard is less injury prone.

4. basketballhooper1 - Dec 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Right now, the way they’re playing, this isn’t much of a discussion. Just look at Lillard’s clutch play, and his teams record, along with his solid stats. Then look at Kyrie’s stats (low fg %) and his teams record.

Lillard is just phenomenal right now, while Kyrie has regressed.

5. sire2334 - Dec 18, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I’m not a huge Wall fan I swear, but the media and fans make me sound like one because he just seems to be an afterthought for pg’s of the future. RIGHT NOW I would take him over Kyrie with no question. While Lillard would be much closer I would still take Wall. And I love Lillard. Unlike Wall and Kyrie he doesn’t seem to have that I’m supposed to be here attitude.

The reason I take Wall is because these other 2 aren’t real point guards. Wall is never shoot first but he still manages to get his. Now if we’re talking last shot…Keep him as far away from the ball unless it’s to pass to someone else.

6. benjaminmoney - Dec 18, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Lilliard of course! He’s from Oakland where hall of fame point guards are produced not NY where point guards can’t shoot and are only exciting on And1 streetball mixtapes! #Fact

7. ohioteamsusuallysuck - Dec 18, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Kyrie all day. Lillard makes 2 shots and now he is greatest pg ever. Come on! How many MVP candidate teammates does kyrie have? None. Kyrie is # 1 focus for teams defensive planning. Maybe that’s why Lillard gets more open looks.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches