Nuggets Jordan Hamilton ejected for striking Thunder’s Steven Adams (VIDEO)

Dec 18, 2013, 1:15 AM EDT

To me, that looked like the start of a punch that Jordan Hamilton thought better of before it landed but couldn’t stop.

And Hamilton is going to get suspended for that.

Less than a minute into the fourth quarter of a game where the Thunder were in control (up 10), the Thunder were heading back up court and Steven Adams set a little screen/bumped into Hamilton and Hamilton responded with a closed right hand to Adam’s chest. It wasn’t a good MMA punch or anything, but it was a swing.

You can be sure the league will see it that way and come down pretty hard on Hamilton (well, as much as you can predict the league and its fines/suspensions policy).

1. fnc111 - Dec 18, 2013 at 1:30 AM

What? That was nothing. Wtf.

• bjornreyes - Dec 18, 2013 at 5:03 AM

If that was a strike, I should be a professional boxer.

2. bdr8889 - Dec 18, 2013 at 1:32 AM

That was nothing!! NBA starting to turn into the NFL (No Fun League)

3. silkysmoke - Dec 18, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Terrible call. That’s a “strike”?

4. mitchem85 - Dec 18, 2013 at 2:26 AM

I’m sorry, but that is not a swing, especially from an athlete. At most it looks to me like he was caught with a screen and wanted to push, not punch but missed and made it look like a “swing”…(which is doesn’t look like a swing to me, at all)

5. jmag420 - Dec 18, 2013 at 3:11 AM

“Striking”???? That is a joke, shouldn’t even be a foul. C’mon PBT ur better than that

6. nokoolaidcowboy - Dec 18, 2013 at 5:39 AM

The ref made a very bad call. I could understand wanting to make sure stuff doesn’t escalate but that doesn’t warrant an ejection.

What’s next? A fine from the league office? A meeting with the Commissioner? Counseling?

7. psly2124 - Dec 18, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Nba players can’t fight or throw a punch. I’ve gotten into a couple of scraps with nba players in my younger years. They throw punches like girls with little to no power.

8. shanelsweet - Dec 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Add me to the list of folks that watched the video and thought it was a terrible call. If Hamilton loses money because of this play, then he ought to “accidentally” trip and fall like a ton of bricks on that referee the next time he refs one of his games.

9. borderline1988 - Dec 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM

This deserved something….Hamilton did lose it for a second and threw a swing at Adams. If that would have connected, he would have been tossed automatically; he’s lucky it didn’t. I don’t mind the ejection; from the ref’s vantage point, he threw a swing at Adams.

That being said, a suspension is way too much.

10. kenken89k - Dec 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Nba has become soft

11. kingcrusher - Dec 18, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Bottom line is that it was directed at the other player and wasn’t just a push off. As little as it might have been, a ref has to draw the line because if you let that go, you’re going to get worse, the players will push any boundaries set. I fully agree with the ejection. It has nothing to do with the league getting soft, or anything like that. Basketball is an amazing game, and I would love to see it get back to skills rather than the thug game it has become. Play hard, play physical, but there is a line, and I think this was a fine showing of where that line is. Good job ref.

• shanelsweet - Dec 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM

When I hear folks call today’s NBA a “thug game”, I figure that person is a idiotic racist. I’m sure not all of them are actually idiotic racists, but that’s the sort of code phrase that screams idiotic racist at me. Now, if you’d called the NBA a “thug game” back when Bill Laimbeer was playing .. . .

12. mitchem85 - Dec 18, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Kingcrusher, save the “slippery slope” argument, that’s the most lame, played out argument one could make. Basketball is a sport, the fact the majority of everyone that has seen this, doesn’t believe it warrants a foul shows how ridiculous it is. I have no horse in the fight, so the speak, but this doesn’t warrant an ejection. These are men out there, not fragile children. It’s not like he was even close to hitting him, I definitely don’t see the swing at all. There’s no time for him to stop himself if he was really going to punch the guy…. Also, it’s no where near the guys face, what, was he going to punch the guy in the arm? Not buying it

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches