Dec 18, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT
That should make the newly formed Raptors duo pretty formidable, and everyone involved sounds excited about the possibilities.
“When somebody really sets a good screen on my [defender], I’m off to the races,” Vasquez said. “That’s my game. When it’s not a good screen, you have to utilize your skill, your speed, so it tends to be a little bit harder, especially for me. Every time I get a good screen, something is going to come out pretty good, whether it’s a good shot, whether it’s getting it back to Amir [Johnson].”
“[Johnson] doesn’t mind contact. That’s something that he learned from Ben Wallace and those old guys in Detroit, how to set legal screens, how to hit people and understanding it doesn’t hurt if you set it properly and protect yourself. He’s one of the best. You’ll always see him at the end of the game setting screens, understanding angles and timing, because in crucial parts of the game you don’t want [an illegal] screen.”
“Everybody who defends is going to get hit, especially when I set a screen,” Johnson said. “It might be an offensive foul, but I’m going to get a piece.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $85,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
In two games so far, the results have been modestly successful.
Good pick-and-rolls aren’t just about getting opportunities for the dribbler or screener. They create spot-up opportunities, too. So, looking at offensive production as a whole can be quite telling.
When Vasquez and Johnson share the court, Toronto’s offensive rating is 105.0, up a tick from 102.0 for the season. That’s not bad, but keep an eye on these two getting much better as they get a better feel for each other.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 22
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 30
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16