Dec 17, 2013, 5:04 PM EST
It’s been known for a while the Cavaliers have been testing the trade market for Dion Waiters. We told you last week that there was buzz the Sixers could look to move Evan Turner — he leads them in scoring and as a free agent this summer could draw a bigger contract than they want to pay or think he’s worth.
As part of that report the anonymous source suggested the Sixers should target Dion Waiters.
Well, maybe the source of that was Waiters’ camp. Check out this latest report from Jared Zwerling of Bleacher Report.
It’s no secret that the Cleveland Cavaliers have been shopping second-year shooting guard Dion Waiters, and the latest update, according to two sources who spoke with Bleacher Report, is that the Chicago Bulls and Philadelphia 76ers have emerged as the top two suitors. And both are realistic destinations based on trade assets and financial complements.
According to a source close to Waiters, he “wants out” of Cleveland and “prefers to go to Philly because he thinks he’d be the best player on the team. That’s his mindset.”
Remember this over the next couple months as trade rumors run wild: Most published trade rumors come from agents. Said agents aren’t going to leak things to the media for fun — they have an agenda. Get their client more money, get him to a spot he wants to be, ideally both.
Waiters in a backcourt with Michael Carter-Williams doesn’t make the Sixers better, but that’s not the short-term goal in Philly. Do the Sixers want to see how a guy who can’t get along with Kyrie Irving gets along with their new star rookie? That said, Waiters is more affordable than Turner. Right now the Bulls will take a guy who can handle the ball and shoot.
I wouldn’t expect this Turner/Waiters swap to go down (is that really a smart move for Cleveland?), but clearly both of these guys are going to show up in a lot of trade rumors in the next couple of months. Just think about who would benefit from the rumor being leaked.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 23
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 38
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28