Dec 17, 2013, 3:47 PM EDT
UPDATE 3:47 pm: It didn’t take long for multiple quality sources to shoot this idea down.
FYI re: Rajon Rondo rumor, Celtics & Kings have had no talks about him or any other player, I'm told by both sides. Nothing to see here…—
Sam Amick (@sam_amick) December 17, 2013
There are conversations between teams all the time, how far this really got is certainly up vor debate.
If you weren’t watching Sports Dash on the NBC Sports Network today you missed a big one:
The Celtics are reportedly talking about a multi-player deal with the Sacramento Kings where Rajon Rondo is the centerpiece, as reported by Donny Marshall of the NBC Sports Network and Comcast Sportsnet New England.
There are not a lot of details here, but you can bet a mix of players and picks would return to Boston in this deal. Boston also has rumored to have had discussions as part of a third team in an Omer Asik deal, but now that is a lot of moving parts to fit together.
For Sacramento, I get it. If you can pair Rondo with DeMarcus Cousins you have two young cornerstone pieces you think you can build a contender around. Sacramento would have to surrender multiple picks plus Ben McLemore, Isaiah Thomas and more. Someone like Marcus Thornton (or Rudy Gay) needs to be involved to make the numbers work and there would be others involved as well.
Not sure this comes to fruition, and if a Kings/Celtics trade goes down it is likely much closer to the trade deadline in February. But this is out there.
- Report: Tracy McGrady works out with Kobe, eyes return to NBA 0
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 4
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 9
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 5
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14