Dec 17, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
Alec Burks scored a career-high 31 points against the Heat on Monday night, so let’s all overreact.
“He had a hell of a game,” Utah forward Marvin Williams said afterward. “I’ve been calling him Easy 20. He scores 20 points easier than anybody I’ve seen. I’m gonna start calling him Easy 30 now.”
Easier than anybody he’s seen? Either Williams is terrible at handing out nicknames or playing for one of the league’s worst offenses has skewed his perspective.
It’s nearly impossible to find a measure that shows Burks has anywhere near an easy time getting 20-point games.
He has four 20-point games this season, tying him for 71st-most in the NBA. That hardly qualifies as easy.
But two of those 20-point games came on just 11 shots, which seems pretty, easy right? Well, Wesley Matthews and Chandler Parsons have three 20-point games on 11 or fewer shots, and six other players have two such games.
It’s not like Burks built this reputation in previous seasons. The third-year pro had only one 20-point game in his first two years.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $85,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
And don’t get me started on “Easy 30.”
Burks has now joined 52 other players with 30-point games this season, 27 of whom have multiple 30-point games. And judging by shots, Burks’ 31 point on 17 attempts didn’t even have the easiest 30 of the night. The Wizards’ Martell Webster scored 30 points on 13 shots.
So I have no idea what Williams is talking about.
Or maybe this is one of those times you call a tall guy “shorty,” a fat guy “slim” or a blonde “red.”
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 5
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 4
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 2
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 5
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 25