Dec 17, 2013, 11:44 AM EST
Alec Burks scored a career-high 31 points against the Heat on Monday night, so let’s all overreact.
“He had a hell of a game,” Utah forward Marvin Williams said afterward. “I’ve been calling him Easy 20. He scores 20 points easier than anybody I’ve seen. I’m gonna start calling him Easy 30 now.”
Easier than anybody he’s seen? Either Williams is terrible at handing out nicknames or playing for one of the league’s worst offenses has skewed his perspective.
It’s nearly impossible to find a measure that shows Burks has anywhere near an easy time getting 20-point games.
He has four 20-point games this season, tying him for 71st-most in the NBA. That hardly qualifies as easy.
But two of those 20-point games came on just 11 shots, which seems pretty, easy right? Well, Wesley Matthews and Chandler Parsons have three 20-point games on 11 or fewer shots, and six other players have two such games.
It’s not like Burks built this reputation in previous seasons. The third-year pro had only one 20-point game in his first two years.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $85,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
And don’t get me started on “Easy 30.”
Burks has now joined 52 other players with 30-point games this season, 27 of whom have multiple 30-point games. And judging by shots, Burks’ 31 point on 17 attempts didn’t even have the easiest 30 of the night. The Wizards’ Martell Webster scored 30 points on 13 shots.
So I have no idea what Williams is talking about.
Or maybe this is one of those times you call a tall guy “shorty,” a fat guy “slim” or a blonde “red.”
- Report: JaVale McGee close to signing with Celtics 1
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 9
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 11
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18