Chris Kaman not happy he signed with the Lakers

Dec 17, 2013, 12:57 PM EDT

Minnesota Timberwolves v Los Angeles Lakers

Chris Kaman, after doing it with the Mavericks last season, knows playing on a one-year contract comes with all kinds of complications. Before the season, he said:

There’s just so many things that can happen, and the biggest one is that you’re on a one-year deal and you’re worried about it the whole time and it stresses you out.“But you’ve got to just play basketball. That’s what I’ve been doing for 10 years and that’s what I’m trying to focus on doing now.”

Easier said than done.

Kaman hasn’t played in 11 of the Lakers’ last 12 games, even though he says he’s healthy. And that gets frustrating.

Kaman, via Ramona Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com:

“It’s absolutely not what I was looking for,” Kaman told ESPNLosAngeles.com on Monday morning after the Lakers’ shootaround. “It’s not really in my control. I just try to keep working hard and be ready if the time comes. And if it doesn’t, then it just wasn’t meant to be.”

“I haven’t,” Kaman said, when asked if he’d heard from the Lakers or anyone else about whether he’d be moved. “The conversations I’ve had have been, ‘Let’s stick with it. Let’s play it out a little more. Let’s see where things go.’ So I just try to be ready and be positive. I’m not going to let it take away from me having fun and being a good person. I just do the best I can with what I’ve got.”

“Never did I think I would come here and not play, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have come,” Kaman said. “I had a bunch of other options, but I saw opportunity here.”

Kaman clearly didn’t assess his situation properly last summer. The Lakers signed Kaman not necessarily because they were enthralled with him, but because they had so few options.

I’m sure the Lakers told Kaman they coveted him, but he should have realized they might be saying that only because they couldn’t get anyone better.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $85,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

Kaman should also realizing he’s not even the Lakers’ top priority when it comes to unhappy big men. They’ll figure out what to do with Pau Gasol, another center who’s not a great fit in Mike D’Antoni’s up-tempo system, before Kaman lands on the radar.

It might be hard for him to accept, but Kaman is a bit player at this point. There are some teams that would give him a bigger role, but not many.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Metta World Peace nearing deal to play in China next season

Jul 30, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT

New York Knicks vs Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

World Peace hasn’t drawn legitimate interest from NBA teams, so he’s considering playing overseas.

2. Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks

Jul 30, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT

Anthony Bennett Anthony Bennett

Just like Love, Bennett is not going to be playing in any games this summer until a deal is done.

3. Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system

Jul 30, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT

Sam Hinkie, Nerlens Noel AP

Sixers put a multi-year plan together based on current rules, which would be adversely affected with a quick change to the system.

4. Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench?

Jul 30, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT

Mike Krzyzewski Mike Krzyzewski

“Everyone talks about match-ups (with big teams such as Spain), people have to match-up against us, too.” — USA Basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski

5. Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat

Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

LeBron still not as popular as prior to The Decision, though. It’s only a matter of time until he is.

6. Dion Waiters explains tweet saying he wouldn’t accept bench role

Jul 30, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT

2013 Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day 2013 Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day

Cavaliers guard says initial response stemmed from his straightforward approach, confidence

7. NBA considering charity All-Star game in South Africa

Jul 30, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT

Nelson Mandela Nelson Mandela

Collective Bargaining Agreement limits offseason charity games to United States and Canada

8. Report: Gregg Popovich had hip-replacement surgery

Jul 29, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Five Getty Images

Popovich signed contract extension with Spurs this offseason

9. Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold

Jul 29, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT

Image (1) durant_usa_fun-thumb-250x159-20234.jpg for post 4140

“That 2010 team was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. I think we have a team that’s even better.” —Kevin Durant

10. Report: Magic signing Peyton Siva to unguaranteed contract

Jul 29, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT

Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic

Orlando reportedly plans to send former Pistons point guard to D-League

11. Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did.

Jul 29, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT

2014 USA Basketball Men's National Team Practice Getty Images

“I just tell everybody that I’m here in Oklahoma City, I love it here. Who knows what will happen.” —Kevin Durant on his 2016 free agency.

12. Report: Eric Bledsoe-Suns ‘relationship is on the express lane to being ruined’

Jul 29, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT

Eric Bledsoe, Jeff Hornacek, Goran Dragic Eric Bledsoe, Jeff Hornacek, Goran Dragic

Bledsoe reportedly resents how differently Pistons, Jazz and Rockets treated their restricted free agents

13. Report: Mike Scott considering ‘lucrative’ offer to play in Russia

Jul 29, 2014, 6:22 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Indiana Pacers - Game Seven Getty Images

CSKA-Moscow wants to poach Scott from Atlanta Hawks

14. Mavericks sign Ivan Johnson

Jul 29, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Atlanta Hawks Dallas Mavericks v Atlanta Hawks

Johnson gets NBA contract after eventful summer league

15. Report: Timberwolves told Kevin Love to sit out the World Cup

Jul 29, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT

Kevin Love Kevin Love

I’m not sure Love is taking advice from Minnesota right now

16. Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable

Jul 29, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Introduce Byron Scott Getty Images

Lakers introduce Scott as new coach in press conference

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches