Chris Kaman not happy he signed with the Lakers

Dec 17, 2013, 12:57 PM EDT

Minnesota Timberwolves v Los Angeles Lakers

Chris Kaman, after doing it with the Mavericks last season, knows playing on a one-year contract comes with all kinds of complications. Before the season, he said:

There’s just so many things that can happen, and the biggest one is that you’re on a one-year deal and you’re worried about it the whole time and it stresses you out.“But you’ve got to just play basketball. That’s what I’ve been doing for 10 years and that’s what I’m trying to focus on doing now.”

Easier said than done.

Kaman hasn’t played in 11 of the Lakers’ last 12 games, even though he says he’s healthy. And that gets frustrating.

Kaman, via Ramona Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com:

“It’s absolutely not what I was looking for,” Kaman told ESPNLosAngeles.com on Monday morning after the Lakers’ shootaround. “It’s not really in my control. I just try to keep working hard and be ready if the time comes. And if it doesn’t, then it just wasn’t meant to be.”

“I haven’t,” Kaman said, when asked if he’d heard from the Lakers or anyone else about whether he’d be moved. “The conversations I’ve had have been, ‘Let’s stick with it. Let’s play it out a little more. Let’s see where things go.’ So I just try to be ready and be positive. I’m not going to let it take away from me having fun and being a good person. I just do the best I can with what I’ve got.”

“Never did I think I would come here and not play, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have come,” Kaman said. “I had a bunch of other options, but I saw opportunity here.”

Kaman clearly didn’t assess his situation properly last summer. The Lakers signed Kaman not necessarily because they were enthralled with him, but because they had so few options.

I’m sure the Lakers told Kaman they coveted him, but he should have realized they might be saying that only because they couldn’t get anyone better.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $85,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

Kaman should also realizing he’s not even the Lakers’ top priority when it comes to unhappy big men. They’ll figure out what to do with Pau Gasol, another center who’s not a great fit in Mike D’Antoni’s up-tempo system, before Kaman lands on the radar.

It might be hard for him to accept, but Kaman is a bit player at this point. There are some teams that would give him a bigger role, but not many.

1. doubledown44 - Dec 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Just last month he was complaining about how the Mavericks had used him and bragging about how much he liked being on the Lakers. He’s not nearly good enough to do this much complaining or to be burning any bridges.

• timberwolvesbrisin - Dec 17, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Yah, how is it that “stressful?” Not like he doesnt have millions in the bank. Stressful is living check-to-check.

• bobfell - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM

He was an Allstar with the Clippers just a few years back. He is a good player not being used properly. But it is his own fault. He could have signed with the Clippers for a little more than vet minimum, but he signed for more money to play for the lakers. If he was a Clipper he would have solid minutes as the first big off the bench. He could spell DJ & Blake, probably 15-20 minutes a game. But he was ticked that the Clippers traded him for CP3. Sometimes you gotta swallow your pride and do what is best for your career. He signed for the money and now he is stuck.

2. skids003 - Dec 17, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Now that the great Kobe is back, he wouldn’t touch the ball if he was playing.

• unxpexted1 - Dec 17, 2013 at 1:47 PM

oh yea, thats right, the Kobe leading his team in assist? Got you.

• asimonetti88 - Dec 17, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I’m confused. Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

• asimonetti88 - Dec 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Based on the thumbs, not very many people have seen Kaman play this year.

• 00maltliquor - Dec 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I like Kaman and the way he plays. I wish he’d get more time, especially with Pau. I was really feeling the way they gelled together during pre-season. But just not if it comes at the expense of Jordan Hill.

BTW, NO true C should sign with the Lakers with expectations of PT with D’Antoni at the helm!! That was YOUR bad, son!

• ranfan12 - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I disagree. He’d probably still get feeds from Gasol lol

3. azarkhan - Dec 17, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Chris, just remember those fools are paying you $3.2 million to sit on your a$$. Accept it and wait for the inevitable trade.

• asimonetti88 - Dec 17, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Don’t get this. People bash players as only “playing for the money” all the time. Here’s a guy who wants to actually get out there and play and everyone tells him to just “shut up and take your money”.

• azarkhan - Dec 17, 2013 at 5:46 PM

He wants to play, the coach won’t play him, what can he do? Unless you think he should go all Omer Asik and make a scene.

• 5xchamp24 - Dec 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM

there actually are some players that do want to play and are not there just to be paid

4. unfly - Dec 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM

As a Laker fan I can say with confidence that history is repeating itself. Every year Mike Dan and Tony picks out a veteran to bench for no apparent reason, last year it was Antawn Jamison and this year it’s Chris Kaman. I’m happy to see Bob Sacre get more minutes but it’s very irritating to watch Pringles continually alienate players for no apparent reason.

I understand benching a guy if he’s not playing well but Kaman was easily the best jump shooter at 5 before he got put in the doghouse. Which I’d rather watch than see Pau try to build a house every night and complain for fouls after any contact.

I can say with confidence that I want this coach gone after this season, based on his insistence on creating malcontent veterans and refusal to coach an effective defensive philosophy.

5. antistratfordian - Dec 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Haha. Another missed opportunity by the Lakers. Another disgruntled Laker. What’s new?

6. zacksdad - Dec 17, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Another player signed by the Lakers and the coach has no idea how to use him or tell him what is going on. What players have been happy with Mike D’Antoni?

7. allday420ap - Dec 17, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Who would be happy to sign with the fakers?

• asimonetti88 - Dec 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Did you think of that nickname all by yourself?

• ranfan12 - Dec 17, 2013 at 6:53 PM

nick young, dwight howard(initially), jordan farmar for starters lol

• ranfan12 - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:11 PM

And caman himself of course

8. MLBlogsbig3bosox - Dec 17, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Mike D’Antoni will end up using a SF at center.

• asimonetti88 - Dec 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Wesley Johnson, your Los Angeles Lakers’ starting center.

9. magic407 - Dec 17, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Totally agree with azarkhan … take the pay to warm the bench and keep workin hard … your number will eventually be called at the right moment and thats when you show and prove …

• sportsfan18 - Dec 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Well, since he doesn’t play many min’s per game, I’ll use the per 36 min’s stats to show what Kaman IS doing this season.

He’s shooting 50% (to Pau’s .428%)

Kaman is pulling down 10.8 boards per 36 min’s of court time.

Kaman is scoring 17.8 points per 36 min’s of court time.

Of course he isn’t a superstar and he isn’t even great, but he IS producing in the bit of time he gets on the floor.

• asimonetti88 - Dec 17, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Ah yes, per 36 min stats… the best way to evaluate a player. Right Jerry Krause and Eddie Robinson?

• timberwolvesbrisin - Dec 17, 2013 at 5:55 PM

UHHH? you realize he’s getting his minutes in garbage time and it is very easy to have great number per 36 when you are not getting much run.

10. unxpexted1 - Dec 17, 2013 at 4:20 PM

This does seem to be the common theme for big men that play for D’antoni, minus Amare.

11. mackcarrington - Dec 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM

D’Antoni doesn’t seem to care for any player who is over 6’9″ and cant shoot 3 pointers.
    It makes sense to a point. His best success came with those small Suns teams. Seems he is going to spend the rest of his career trying to repeat that.

12. kanemoney - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Ughhh… Mike D’Antoni has to be one of the most overrated coaches over the last decade. I think he is a terrible coach at utilizing the talent in front of him. He is a systems coach and clearly Kaman and Gasol are not great fits for his system. I don’t think Dwight was either.

I feel bad for Kaman. He is a very solid center and probably could have gotten more years and dollars playing for a trash franchise. He not only took less, but isn’t even playing. A shame.

Oh yeah and D’Antoni has always played small rotations, which shows a lack of trust in your talent. Historically he often plays 8 deep, with 6 absorbing the bulk of playing time.

13. sportsnut101 - Dec 17, 2013 at 11:55 PM

He can def play the Knicks would love to have him right now.

14. jerdogthompson - Dec 18, 2013 at 1:01 AM

@bobfell

One of the most insightful and well articulated posts I’ve read all year. You are absolutely correct. Instead were stuck with Mullens & Hollins. Although Hollins has grown on me a pinch. Mullens has been a complete and udder bust. I had held some pretty high hopes heading into the season. Oh vey.

#InDocwetrust

15. lhollis74 - Dec 18, 2013 at 1:32 AM

As a lakers fan, I hate our coach. Mostly because he doesn’t actually coach, he installs a system, stands back and let’s the players operate in it, only to say its the players who are screwing up if it isn’t successful. He always talks about moving the ball and how it finds energy, but that’s to deflect from the fact that he doesn’t call plays like a coaching coach does. Kaman was balling at the beginning of the season, hitting that 20ft shot very consistently. Truth is, MD doesn’t play more than 8 players in his rotation, I believe because to incorporate more would only complicate his job forcing him to actually strategize, matchup, and you know, coach. Really, how many nba coachs have a problem with three consecutive producing big men ( Howard,Gasol,Kaman) on their team. MD will NEVER raise a championship trophy. Systems don’t win titles, players do. In my opinion it won’t be long before he’s out and Byron Scott is the coach.

16. madtownthrowdown - Dec 18, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Yeah man it’s gotta be rough making millions and not knowing if you’ll have a job next year. Definitely like all us middle class workers. I mean you know we may go to our $40k a year job today and get fired. Crazy. Wish my job came with a guaranteed contract and millions of dollars. Then I could complain too.

17. omniusprime - Dec 18, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Kaman wasn’t the kind of great player we Laker fans were looking for. Let’s hope this worthless bum gets traded before the trade deadline. It’s time the Lakers started clearing out the trash like Trash Nash, Steve Flake and this putrid Sissy Kaman! Not to mention getting rid of the second worst coach in Laker history, Dumbtoni.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview