Dec 17, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
The Knicks’ latest setback, a home loss to the Wizards, does what every New York loss does: It intensifies the public scrutiny on Mike Woodson.
But within the walls of Madison Square Garden, that’s not necessarily the case.
First of all, who knows what James Dolan is thinking? There’s little sense using logic to guess how he’ll run his team.
And another key Knicks decision-maker isn’t ready to publically chastise Woodson or reveal any behind-the-scenes discussions about the coach’s future. Carmelo Anthony, via Ian Begley of ESPNNewYork.com:
“As far as I’m concerned, he’s secure right now. I haven’t heard anything,” Anthony said Monday night after initially declining to answer a question about Woodson’s status. “There’s nothing to discuss. He’s our coach, and we’re rolling with him.”
What else is Melo supposed to say? Whenever someone has only one reasonable way to answer a question, I don’t usually put much stock in the response. This is no exception. Even if he has heard from management that Woodson might be fired, Melo isn’t going to admit it now.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $85,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Melo will always publically support the Knicks’ coach, because once Melo stops, that person will no longer be the Knicks’ coach. It’s a superstars’ league, and Melo yields a particularly large amount of power – especially entering free agency this summer.
This wasn’t a public endorsement, but Melo is allowing Woodson to continue with his job for now.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 0
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 10
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 16
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 49
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11