Dec 17, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
The Knicks’ latest setback, a home loss to the Wizards, does what every New York loss does: It intensifies the public scrutiny on Mike Woodson.
But within the walls of Madison Square Garden, that’s not necessarily the case.
First of all, who knows what James Dolan is thinking? There’s little sense using logic to guess how he’ll run his team.
And another key Knicks decision-maker isn’t ready to publically chastise Woodson or reveal any behind-the-scenes discussions about the coach’s future. Carmelo Anthony, via Ian Begley of ESPNNewYork.com:
“As far as I’m concerned, he’s secure right now. I haven’t heard anything,” Anthony said Monday night after initially declining to answer a question about Woodson’s status. “There’s nothing to discuss. He’s our coach, and we’re rolling with him.”
What else is Melo supposed to say? Whenever someone has only one reasonable way to answer a question, I don’t usually put much stock in the response. This is no exception. Even if he has heard from management that Woodson might be fired, Melo isn’t going to admit it now.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $85,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Melo will always publically support the Knicks’ coach, because once Melo stops, that person will no longer be the Knicks’ coach. It’s a superstars’ league, and Melo yields a particularly large amount of power – especially entering free agency this summer.
This wasn’t a public endorsement, but Melo is allowing Woodson to continue with his job for now.
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 3
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 44
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 16
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12