Dec 17, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
The Knicks’ latest setback, a home loss to the Wizards, does what every New York loss does: It intensifies the public scrutiny on Mike Woodson.
But within the walls of Madison Square Garden, that’s not necessarily the case.
First of all, who knows what James Dolan is thinking? There’s little sense using logic to guess how he’ll run his team.
And another key Knicks decision-maker isn’t ready to publically chastise Woodson or reveal any behind-the-scenes discussions about the coach’s future. Carmelo Anthony, via Ian Begley of ESPNNewYork.com:
“As far as I’m concerned, he’s secure right now. I haven’t heard anything,” Anthony said Monday night after initially declining to answer a question about Woodson’s status. “There’s nothing to discuss. He’s our coach, and we’re rolling with him.”
What else is Melo supposed to say? Whenever someone has only one reasonable way to answer a question, I don’t usually put much stock in the response. This is no exception. Even if he has heard from management that Woodson might be fired, Melo isn’t going to admit it now.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $85,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Melo will always publically support the Knicks’ coach, because once Melo stops, that person will no longer be the Knicks’ coach. It’s a superstars’ league, and Melo yields a particularly large amount of power – especially entering free agency this summer.
This wasn’t a public endorsement, but Melo is allowing Woodson to continue with his job for now.
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 11
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9