Dec 17, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
The Knicks’ latest setback, a home loss to the Wizards, does what every New York loss does: It intensifies the public scrutiny on Mike Woodson.
But within the walls of Madison Square Garden, that’s not necessarily the case.
First of all, who knows what James Dolan is thinking? There’s little sense using logic to guess how he’ll run his team.
And another key Knicks decision-maker isn’t ready to publically chastise Woodson or reveal any behind-the-scenes discussions about the coach’s future. Carmelo Anthony, via Ian Begley of ESPNNewYork.com:
“As far as I’m concerned, he’s secure right now. I haven’t heard anything,” Anthony said Monday night after initially declining to answer a question about Woodson’s status. “There’s nothing to discuss. He’s our coach, and we’re rolling with him.”
What else is Melo supposed to say? Whenever someone has only one reasonable way to answer a question, I don’t usually put much stock in the response. This is no exception. Even if he has heard from management that Woodson might be fired, Melo isn’t going to admit it now.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $85,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Melo will always publically support the Knicks’ coach, because once Melo stops, that person will no longer be the Knicks’ coach. It’s a superstars’ league, and Melo yields a particularly large amount of power – especially entering free agency this summer.
This wasn’t a public endorsement, but Melo is allowing Woodson to continue with his job for now.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 12
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 58
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7