Asik trade update: Atlanta, Boston, Cleveland and Philadelphia most likely destinations

Dec 17, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT

Omer Asik AP

This is the one thing that is certain: Omer Asik will get his wish and be traded in the next 48 hours. Houston still plans to move him by Dec. 19 — after that date and they can’t flip any of the assets they get at the trade deadline.

Where he is going to land is still up in the air.

Here is the latest, via Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.

The most-talked about trade is a three-team one with the Celtics and Sixers involved and Asik ending up in Philly. Exactly who moves in this deal is unclear, but potentially could include Brandon Bass, Thaddeus Young and others.

Houston’s GM Daryl Morey reportedly has a deal in place he likes as a fallback but is trying to find a better one. That’s his style.

But he’s got 48 hours to find it.

1. 00maltliquor - Dec 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Please no Cavs or 76ers. Those make no sense. I hate BOS but I’m kinda lowkey feeling the idea of him going there. ATL would be a great destination for him to land. Just please no Philly. I want to see Noel have a chance.

• basketballhooper1 - Dec 18, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Please no Celtics though ahaha. Asik is 28, and we already got a crowded frontcourt full of young developing players. Put Asik in the mix and it stuns their growth. I’d rather play worse now with Olynik and Sullinger and see what they become rather than maybe get some wins but not have anything in the near future…
      That’s my opinion at least.

• halfbaht - Dec 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM

As a fellow Celtics fan, i’m totally with you. We don’t need him, playing well enough and getting enough wins with the kids we got. Sorry Houston, but we’re good thanks

• basketballhooper1 - Dec 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Yeah, considering how young the Celtics are and playing without Rondo, they’ve been great and by far exceeded my expectations of them tanking and getting some pick (which I wouldn’t mind haha). That being said, Asik would bring immediate value, but I agree with you, much rather continue playing with the youngsters.

2. legend30 - Dec 17, 2013 at 11:33 PM

What have I been saying the last few weeks? Asik is going to be traded to Boston. I’m the Adrian Wojnarowski of PBT.

• hannsta - Dec 18, 2013 at 1:50 AM

thumbs up cause of the woj ref. One of the few trusty sources.

• legend30 - Dec 18, 2013 at 1:52 AM

I’ll throw in a trade scenario.

3-team trade:

Celtics acquire: Omer Asik and Miami’s future 1st round (not 2014)
      Rockets acquire: Jeff Green and Joel Anthony
      Heat acquire: Jordan Crawford

Why would Boston do this trade? They will get a legit center, pretty straightforward. And they also get a future 1st round from Miami. Boston would only agree to this trade, if Rockets are willing to take Joel Anthony’s contract.

Why would Houston do this trade? They get a stretch 4, and Green should co-exist with Dwight. The bad part, they have to take Joel’s contract, but when you can trade a disgruntled Asik for Green, that’s a huge win.

Why would Miami do this trade? I understand Crawford is in his final year of his contract, but Miami is going to do whatever it takes for a 3-peat, even if that’s sacrificing a future 1st round pick.

– I’m legend30 and I approved this message.

3. stephenolszewski - Dec 17, 2013 at 11:39 PM

BOS and ATL make the most sense, Horford finally gets a legit Center to play next to and BOS fills a need. CLE has Bynum and Varejao so to trade for a guy who’s unhappy for not starting more than likely wouldn’t be happy there. Philly has Hawes and Noel eventually so that doesn’t make sense to me anyways. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Atlanta

• jeffkx - Dec 18, 2013 at 7:41 AM

I agree with that. I think Houston may be throwing teams out there (Cleveland, Philly) to try and up the price. After the game yesterday when talking about a trade for Omer Asik, Mike Brown said, “I can’t even pronounce the guy’s name, I doubt we are trading Andy (Varejao) for him”.

4. sportsnut101 - Dec 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Atl sounds good to me

5. ProBasketballPundit - Dec 18, 2013 at 12:04 AM

The Cavaliers probably want to buy out Bynum’s contract before they’re locked in to a second year. Asik would get a lot of play for Cleveland and probably improve their defense quite a bit.

• jeffkx - Dec 18, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Bynum played quite well yesterday after playing three bad games. He is guaranteed $6m no matter what happened this season and if he is on the roster in January the other $6m becomes guaranteed. They have until early July 2014 to pick up/decline the second year option.

6. wlouden77 - Dec 18, 2013 at 12:51 AM

I believe Bynum has a team option in his deal. if they release him by July of 2014 they owe him nothing beyond this season

7. psubeerman21 - Dec 18, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Asik isn’t going to Philly. Why would they get this guy when you are trying to rebuild, he’s owed a lot of money next year, and you just drafted a center last year? I think Philly might be involved somehow, but they would have to be getting back a draft pick or an expiring contract.

8. shanelsweet - Dec 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM

It’ll be interesting to see how little they get for Asik. He’s a quality starting big man on a decent contract. Usually, that’d be worth a lot.

9. whoisrdymlz - Dec 18, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Charlotte might be your wild card. Several “insiders” claim they’ve been called. Asking price is too high.

10. JMClarkent - Dec 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Atlanta seems like an odd fit as he wants to start. Milsap cannot the 3 for long stretches – that lineup would be a mess.

• halfbaht - Dec 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Of course it’s an odd fit, Millsap would be going the other way

11. mannyicey - Dec 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM

If he wants to start, then Atlanta isn’t a good fit at all. Who’s he going to replace? Horford at Center? Horford is having a monster at Center this year. Millsap? He’s doing well, too!

If Asik wants to come off the bench, it will be great for Atlanta to have him, but he needs to know his role.

• Kevin S. - Dec 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Millsap would be going to Houston, Horford would be sliding to the four (his natural position).

• mannyicey - Dec 18, 2013 at 6:55 PM

… And who would be playing the 5? Asik? See, that’s the problem: Horford’s better than Asik at the 5. Asik’s a downgrade. And Millsap’s a better 4 than Horford.

See, what Horford wanted was the ability to go in and play the 4 while they find someone similar in athleticism to play the 5. Therefore, Horford and this other player can be a more athletic and bigger front court. But Joakim Noah isn’t coming to the Hawks. And Horford wants to win. Therefore, he’s not going to allow the Hawks to lose just because they find some big guy out there to fill in the 5 position. No, he wants a high quality center and Asik just isn’t it. Watch- the Hawks will not take Asik, I can guarantee that.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches