Dec 16, 2013, 6:29 PM EDT
The Wizards scored 99.9 points per 100 possessions with Martell Webster on the court last season, not a great mark, but certainly better than the 95.2 points per 100 possessions they produced without him. With Webster joining John Wall on the court, Washington’s offensive rating jumped to 105.2.
That earned Webster a fat contract from the Wizards, who were totally set on building around Wall.
Webster is an excellent long-range shooter, the type of floor spacer who excels with a point guard like Wall. Again this season, the Wizards’ offense is better with him on the court.
But that hasn’t been true the last two games, since Webster returned from an ankle injury. Webster went 0-for-6 on 3-pointers, and Washington lost both contests.
There’s no reason to believe his ankle, which he began taping for the first time in his career to prevent a recurrence, is the reason. Webster has played 39 and 33 minutes and could be seen battling for rebounds in traffic.
“I think his ankle is fine. Sometimes you lose a rhythm. He missed a game,” coach Randy Wittman said. “You get in a routine, it’s sometimes hard to get back in it. He’ll be alright. He’s fine physically.”
The Wizards, who’ve lost four straight overall, are facing a lot of problems. One of their other key floor spacers, Bradley Beal, has been out longer and will need time to hit his stride.
Webster is just a role player, but how quickly he finds his rhythm could have a lot to say about how quickly Washington gets back on track.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 3
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 9
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4