Dec 16, 2013, 6:29 PM EDT
The Wizards scored 99.9 points per 100 possessions with Martell Webster on the court last season, not a great mark, but certainly better than the 95.2 points per 100 possessions they produced without him. With Webster joining John Wall on the court, Washington’s offensive rating jumped to 105.2.
That earned Webster a fat contract from the Wizards, who were totally set on building around Wall.
Webster is an excellent long-range shooter, the type of floor spacer who excels with a point guard like Wall. Again this season, the Wizards’ offense is better with him on the court.
But that hasn’t been true the last two games, since Webster returned from an ankle injury. Webster went 0-for-6 on 3-pointers, and Washington lost both contests.
There’s no reason to believe his ankle, which he began taping for the first time in his career to prevent a recurrence, is the reason. Webster has played 39 and 33 minutes and could be seen battling for rebounds in traffic.
“I think his ankle is fine. Sometimes you lose a rhythm. He missed a game,” coach Randy Wittman said. “You get in a routine, it’s sometimes hard to get back in it. He’ll be alright. He’s fine physically.”
The Wizards, who’ve lost four straight overall, are facing a lot of problems. One of their other key floor spacers, Bradley Beal, has been out longer and will need time to hit his stride.
Webster is just a role player, but how quickly he finds his rhythm could have a lot to say about how quickly Washington gets back on track.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 6
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 39
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38