Dec 16, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
Right now Mike Woodson could use all the good news he can get — and the embattled Knicks coach just got some.
Tyson Chandler could be back on Wednesday night, reports Marc Berman at the New York Post.
Chandler, as of Monday morning, has not ruled out returning Wednesday in Milwaukee. Chandler is supposed to be reevaluated Monday and must be cleared by the medical staff. The next game after Milwaukee is not until Saturday against Memphis — that appears the latest he would be back.
Chandler went down with a broken fibula three games into the NBA season and the lack of him as a defensive anchor has been sorely missed in New York. The Knicks are 6-14 without him (although poor guard play is as big or bigger a factor in that poor record). Chandler helps on the offensive end too, especially with Raymond Felton (who is out injured with a hamstring issue) because Chandler sets a good pick and rolls hard to the rim.
Chandler being out meant more Andrea Bargnani being in and he has been solid (especially on the offensive end) but teams have exploited his help defense all season.
The question is does Woodson keep Carmelo Anthony at the four where he is stronger, or does he go back to the big front line of Chandler, Bargnani and ‘Melo? If he does and that fails, well, his seat is already pretty hot.
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 0
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 42
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 17
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 34
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29