Dec 16, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
Right now Mike Woodson could use all the good news he can get — and the embattled Knicks coach just got some.
Tyson Chandler could be back on Wednesday night, reports Marc Berman at the New York Post.
Chandler, as of Monday morning, has not ruled out returning Wednesday in Milwaukee. Chandler is supposed to be reevaluated Monday and must be cleared by the medical staff. The next game after Milwaukee is not until Saturday against Memphis — that appears the latest he would be back.
Chandler went down with a broken fibula three games into the NBA season and the lack of him as a defensive anchor has been sorely missed in New York. The Knicks are 6-14 without him (although poor guard play is as big or bigger a factor in that poor record). Chandler helps on the offensive end too, especially with Raymond Felton (who is out injured with a hamstring issue) because Chandler sets a good pick and rolls hard to the rim.
Chandler being out meant more Andrea Bargnani being in and he has been solid (especially on the offensive end) but teams have exploited his help defense all season.
The question is does Woodson keep Carmelo Anthony at the four where he is stronger, or does he go back to the big front line of Chandler, Bargnani and ‘Melo? If he does and that fails, well, his seat is already pretty hot.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18