Dec 16, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
Right now Mike Woodson could use all the good news he can get — and the embattled Knicks coach just got some.
Tyson Chandler could be back on Wednesday night, reports Marc Berman at the New York Post.
Chandler, as of Monday morning, has not ruled out returning Wednesday in Milwaukee. Chandler is supposed to be reevaluated Monday and must be cleared by the medical staff. The next game after Milwaukee is not until Saturday against Memphis — that appears the latest he would be back.
Chandler went down with a broken fibula three games into the NBA season and the lack of him as a defensive anchor has been sorely missed in New York. The Knicks are 6-14 without him (although poor guard play is as big or bigger a factor in that poor record). Chandler helps on the offensive end too, especially with Raymond Felton (who is out injured with a hamstring issue) because Chandler sets a good pick and rolls hard to the rim.
Chandler being out meant more Andrea Bargnani being in and he has been solid (especially on the offensive end) but teams have exploited his help defense all season.
The question is does Woodson keep Carmelo Anthony at the four where he is stronger, or does he go back to the big front line of Chandler, Bargnani and ‘Melo? If he does and that fails, well, his seat is already pretty hot.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 37
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18