Dec 16, 2013, 1:05 AM EDT
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while laughing at LeBron James’ recent outfit…
Kevin Love, Minnesota Timberwolves. He could be here for the 30 points on 21 shots. He could be here for the 9 rebounds (which is a little off his pace a little), But he is here because a guy much maligned for his defense did a good job on Zach Randolph in the post and that was the real key to slowing the Memphis attack (Z-Bo was 7-of-19 on the night and while he got 20 he really had to work for them).
Memphis Grizzlies defense. Last season this team was a defensive force, this season not so much. They have not been good on that end all season but it is just getting worse. Sunday night they gave up 113.5 points per 100 possessions to Minnesota. In their five games (four of them losses) the Grizzlies have allowed 113.4 points per 100 possessions, which is the worst in the NBA over the that stretch. That will not get it done.
Rudy Gay, Sacramento Kings. Give the man some credit for a fairly efficient night in his home debut in Sacramento — 26 points on 10-of-20 shooting. More than that his shots were not forced (most were good looks) and he had five rebounds, four steals and four assists. The Kings don’t beat the Rockets without him.
Eric Bledsoe, Phoenix Suns. Stephen Curry tried but he doesn’t have the quickness to stay in front of Bledsoe, who racked up 24 points on 16 shots, plus added 8 rebounds and 8 assists. Bledsoe and Goran Dragic are a very underrated combo in the backcourt — they played Curry and Klay Thompson toe-to-toe. Five wins in a row for the Suns and Bledsoe has been key for that stretch.
- LeBron makes emotional return to Cleveland tonight, new Nike ad shows city standing together (VIDEO) 11
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 9
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 21
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 22
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 8
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 17
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 39