Dec 16, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
If Rudy Gay played like this every night he wouldn’t be the poster child for volume scorers, a player considered overrated by the statistical community.
In his home debut in Sacramento Gay 26 points on 10-of-20 shooting — more importantly most of his shots were not forced, they were good looks in the rhythm of the offense. He also he had five rebounds, four assists, and four steals as he played pretty good defense on the night leading the Kings past the Rockets.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
For Sacramento, getting him in a trade with Toronto was a reasonable gamble. If he plays like this within the system he is a fantastic addition to the team, if he opts out this summer (as he can) the Kings can try to re-sign him at a reasonable price, and if he bolts this summer they save a lot of money. If Gay looks at the market and what happened to Monta Ellis and others forced to take pay cuts, Gay may decide to stick around and collect his $19.3 million next season and if that happens the Kings can hope he plays like this. If not and they struggle some that was part of the rebuilding plan anyway.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13