Nerlens Noel says he might come back this season

Dec 16, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT

Sam Hinkie, Nerlens Noel AP

I still wouldn’t bet on it.

Smart money is last year’s first round pick Nerlens Noel will sit out this entire season recovering from an ACL injury, there is no reason for Philadelphia to rush him. That’s been the accepted wisdom.

However, when Noel was interviewed on SiriusXM NBA Radio with hosts Jason Goff and Sam Mitchell Monday he left the door open (CSNPhilly.com also reported this).

“I mean, (sitting out all season) hasn’t been really said. We’re just definitely taking our time with it and being very cautious with things, definitely worrying about my health. But as it regards to the whole season, that decision hasn’t been made up. I still have to meet with my doctors, Dr. Andrews and Kevin Wilk, and come to a conclusion on that.”

So, he could return this season?

“It’s a possibility.”

Noel was expected to be the No. 1 overall pick last season but slipped down the board after his injury. Landing with Philadelphia was a perfect spot for him — they were not going to rush him back. They also have a nice young point guard to pair him with in Michael Carter-Williams (who has missed the last 7 games, but that’s another story).

If at the end of the season he’s able to go and they can get his feet wet with a couple NBA games, great. Consider him a late-season call up in baseball. Noel is going through team shootarounds and film sessions, getting used to the NBA life.

But I still bet he sits the season out.

1. mackcarrington - Dec 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I know Kurt Helin is a respected basketball writer, but this is one of those “bait and switch” headlines. Noel only says it’s a “possibility” that he plays this season, when asked a question. That doesn’t seem worth writing an article about, but I guess that’s what this site is about.

• shanelsweet - Dec 16, 2013 at 10:04 PM

“but I guess that’s what this site is about.” Yes, that’s it exactly. Kurt finds NBA info, and provides us a link to the info. He gets paid for finding stuff that generates clicks. I clicked, you clicked, and others folks will click this article. I don’t blame him for selling the info a bit with his headline. After all, there wouldn’t be much point in putting up the headline “Noel talks to media, nothing new to report.” I like the service Kurt provides because it saves me the trouble and time of doing the looking for NBA info myself. I’ve got a handful of sources I visit regularly, but Kurt must have hundreds.

• asimonetti88 - Dec 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM

“Noel only says it’s a “possibility” that he plays this season”

Hence why the headline says “could” not “will”.

• mackcarrington - Dec 16, 2013 at 11:58 PM

You were a problem child, weren’t you?

• mackcarrington - Dec 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM

And the headline actually says “might” not “could”.
        In the actual interview he says “possibility”. Which to ME make the headline kind of misleading.

• asimonetti88 - Dec 17, 2013 at 1:00 AM

might, could same thing. If there’s a possibility, then he might play, he might not.

2. mydoglouie - Dec 16, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Cue a little kid and play please :)

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches