Dec 16, 2013, 2:54 PM EDT
James has been injured, so the Bulls have been using Marquise Teague and recently signed D.J. Augustin as backup point guards. James’ role, one he no longer filled particular well anymore, had been usurped.
This brings the Bulls down to 13 players, the league minimum. So, maybe this means more moves are ahead (signing someone else, a trade that bring back more players). Or maybe Chicago is just trying to save money. (James’ contract was fully unguaranteed.)
The answer probably depends on how well the 9-13 Bulls play in the short term. If they continue struggling and decide to unload assets to rebuild, there’s no reason to spend the extra few hundred thousand dollars on a 14th man. If they start playing better, they can always sign another player later.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
As for James, this could spell the end of his NBA career. At 38, his athleticism might have finally waned to the point he can longer get by with his veteran savvy.
But a few teams – Lakers, Knicks and Nets come to mind – might want another point guard. So, there’s at least a chance James finds a suitor.
- Tony ‘First Team All-Defense’ Allen and Mike ‘Masked Assassin’ Conley lead Grizzlies to Game 2 win over Warriors 7
- Hawks unimpressive, but pull away late for Game 2 win over Wizards 0
- Mike Conley playing Game 2 against Warriors tonight 0
- John Wall out for Wizards-Hawks Game 2 tonight 3
- PBT Extra: Will Doc Rivers sit Chris Paul in Game 2? 0
- Tony Allen on MVP Stephen Curry: “It ain’t nothing I ain’t never seen before” 23
- PBT Extra: Grizzlies searching for answers, Mike Conley in Game 2 3
- PBT Extra: Hawks need to lean on starters more, hit open looks in Game 2 0