Dec 15, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
The Celtics have been exceeding expectations this season under new head coach Brad Stevens, and are currently in line for the four seed in the Eastern Conference playoff picture despite the team’s losing record.
Things would appear to be only getting better with the addition of All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo to the lineup, considering that on paper he’s the face of the franchise and the one player that should be firmly in place for the team to build around for the foreseeable future.
Rondo is back practicing with his teammates, and should make his return to the court beginning next month.
Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo received clearance to resume full-contact practice activities on Friday and coach Brad Stevens said he believes Rondo should return to game action next month.
Rondo traveled Friday with team physician Dr. Brian McKeon to meet with operating surgeon Dr. James Andrews, who examined Rondo’s progress and cleared him to return to practice activities. The Celtics threw Rondo into the fire on Saturday, engaging in a spirited 45-minute session despite coming off game action on Friday night.
“[Rondo] had a good trip [Friday], as far as getting good news, and it looks like he’s on schedule to be closer, but still probably doesn’t look like we’re going to see him on the court any time this month,” said Stevens. “Hopefully as we get into January, he’ll be closer.”
Boston most recently has used a three-guard lineup featuring Avery Bradley, Jeff Green and Jordan Crawford, but none of those players have the grasp of the offense or the court vision that Rondo possesses, and his presence will only improve the Celtics’ chances of holding onto their position in the standings.
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 8
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 13
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 21
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 6
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 88
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 22