Dec 14, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Zach Randolph doesn’t want to leave Memphis.
But there are rumors. Ones he is being shopped around — although the ones that he could be moved for Ryan Anderson of the Pelicans have no validity — or that he could bolt as a free agent. It’s all about the money. Memphis is a small market team that isn’t going to pay the luxury tax and Marc Gasol is going to get a big contract again in a couple years. So Randolph could be the odd man out.
Except he doesn’t want to be, he wants to stay put, as he told Fran Blinebury of NBA.com.
“Go figure,” Z-Bo said following the Grizzlies shootaround at New Orleans Arena on Friday. “Memphis is a place that I’ve come to love and call home and it’s where I would definitely like to retire. I haven’t made any secret of that. Everybody out there knows how I feel.
“I look at it like this: I understand it’s a business. I really do understand that. This is a small market team and money plays a factor. I understand all that. It’s different now. I don’t know if it’s just changes in (salary cap) rules or just a change in the way of the world. Like I said, it’s a business.
“But yeah, it bothers me. It hurts a little bit. I can’t deny that. But it goes to show you that there ain’t no loyalty in this game. It seems like you only get loyalty in certain organizations. You see it in winning organizations like the Spurs, the Lakers, the Heat.
“The truth is there ain’t no loyalty or love, except in certain organizations where they keep players around, value them. Only a very few organizations seem like they want to keep players around to retire there.”
Randolph has a player option for $16.9 million next season. He can make that and stay in Memphis, or at age 32 he can opt out and get one last good contract, one that likely takes him close to the end of his career. He wants that to be in Memphis, a place he believes they have a shot at a title.
But it’s a business. A harsh one at times. Randolph could get moved if the right deal comes along and there will be a lot more rumors with him at the center between now and the trade deadline.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 0
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10