Dec 14, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
The Rockets have made the decision to trade Omer Asik, and will more than likely do so during a five-day window that begins on Sunday.
The reason for that specific timeline is due to the fact that players who signed new contracts last summer weren’t eligible to be traded until Dec. 15, and any players traded before Dec. 19 are able to be moved once again before the Feb. 20 trade deadline passes.
The most recent rumor had the Cavaliers as a potential suitor, with Anderson Varejao coming back to Houston in the exchange. But the latest report now says that while Cleveland might be willing to get involved in a deal as a third team, they have no interest in acquiring Asik.
Varejao’s name surfaced this week in trade rumors involving the Houston Rockets’ Omer Asik, but a league source told me Friday the Cavs are not interested in acquiring Asik. With Andrew Bynum beginning to flourish, Asik and his $14.9 million salary for next season are not a fit on this team. Varejao’s ability to play both power forward and center makes him a far better fit.
Asik will be moved next week and if the Rockets need a third team to get involved, the Cavs would listen. But Asik won’t be coming to Cleveland.
The trade that’s been floated that makes the most sense is the one involving the Sixers, which would presumably send Thaddeus Young to the Rockets in the big man exchange. That remains a possibility, and some believe that deal has already been made if Houston can’t do any better.
Either way, we’re safe in assuming two things: Asik isn’t going to end up in Cleveland, but he should be in a different uniform by the coming week’s end.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 10
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 7
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 10
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 7
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 42
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4